• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JC513

std::basic_stringchar or std::string

This topic is 3808 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Last night I was finishing up a project for college when I was looking for a way to use std::string much like I would a variable in any class.
class.h

class CClass {
	int *var1, *var2;
	std::string *str1, *str2;
};

class.cpp

CClass::CClass() {
	var1 = new int;
	str1 = new std::string
}
That worked find for awhile until I needed to use some of the strings member functions:
std::string::iterator iter;
for (iter = str.begin(); iter < str.end(); iter++)
{
	tempstr.push_back(tolower(*iter));
}
Now that's the final code I came up with because *str.begin() wouldn't work saying something along the lines of not being a valid member function and just declaring str as std::string str; in my header file wasn't available in the scope of my class members. It only worked when I declared it like so:
std::basic_string<char> str;
std::basic_string<char> tempstr;
Basically what I'd like to know is am I doing anything wrong? I've done some searches on basic_string and all I come up with is the functions templates so I'm assuming no body actually uses it. In which case how would I make a std::string data type available for use in all my class members? Granted this was late at night so I'm sure I missed something, so any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Why does your class hold it's member variables by pointer rather than value? I think this is the cause of your problem.

Well, the obvious problem that jumps out at me is that you have declared str as a pointer to an std::string, and yet when trying to access its begin() and end() members, you use the '.' syntax instead of the '->' syntax. Is there any reason why you need a pointer to a string?

str->begin()

Then again, it's very rare that you'll allocate std::string on a heap. The whole point of standard containers is that you allocate them on stack, so that compiler takes care of entire memory management.

class foo {
public:
foo() {} // no explicit construction

foo(const std::string & s1, const std::string & s2)
: str1(s1)
, str2(s2)
{}

foo(const char * s1, const char * s2)
: str1(s1)
, str2(s2)
{}

// no destructor, not needed
private:
std::string str1;
std::string str2;
};

int main() {
foo f1; // f1 has two usable strings

foo f2("Hello", "World"); // str1 and str2 are initialized to s1 and s2

return 0;
} // f1 and f2 and its strings are properly de-allocated

Quote:
I've done some searches on basic_string and all I come up with is the functions templates so I'm assuming no body actually uses it.

Everyone who uses std::string uses it. std::string is a typedefed std::basic_string< char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > (or close to that)

basic_string is used for template programming.

// accepts std::string, std::wstring or any variation of them,
// using any allocator
template < class C, class T, class A >
void foo( const std::basic_string<C, T, A> & s )
{
// do foo on s
};
This is compile-time polymorphism, where you can pass any string type, but each type will be treated individually

I forgot about the '->' operator.

However, I was unsure how to be able to use std::string in my whole class without assigning it to heap, I kinda became dependent on it. Just one of those things where I learn one way to program then I forget about the 17 better ways to do it.

Thanks for the help. I think I got it now.

Ok, now that you've got it working - does your class have a destructor, assignment operator and copy constructor?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!