How do I start

Started by
10 comments, last by CodeMunkie 16 years, 1 month ago
I started with gamemaker and that dosen't give you programing experience. I downloaded C# and want to start programming. Where do I start?
Advertisement
Depends what you want to do. If you want to start programming your own games, then you'll have to learn the basics of programming first. Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to start writing games right away; you'll need to pick up the basics of programming first. If I were you, I'd read http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/ and maybe, if you're serious about it, invest in a book or two.
-- Paul Kernfeld
Thanks, I've been told I shouldn't start with a game, and I believe it, but that is what I want to eventually. Maybe start with Pong?
Pong is not a game? You're going to have to get a firm grip on a programming language before doing anything.
Johnny was a chemist's son by Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was HO4
Well, you could try to start with a game. It might not be a good idea, though, because it's difficult to begin by learning graphics. This is pretty retro, but you could probably start off with a small text-based adventure if you wanted to...
-- Paul Kernfeld
k cool, text adventure? Ill post if I have any problems. Thnx guys.
Umm, can you actually program in C#? If I asked you to look up the bubblesort or insertion sort algorithm and write it in C#, could you do it? Take in a word from the user, and count how many of each letter there are? You might have the concepts, but you still need to know the language.

You can try to write a text adventure, but don't be surprised if you struggle every minute or end up writing really really poor code. Or maybe I misunderstood, and you did already have some background practice with C#?
Gamemaker was how I started. Eventualy I transferred from the drag and drop icons to writing in all gm code. It was a good jumping off point. From there I suggest purchasing a book that covers the basics of whatever language you feel interested in. In this case C#. Take time to actually understand the language before moving onto developing a graphical game. It may seem like no fun not creating a game right away but it will probably save a LOT of frustration down the road if you focus on the aspects of the language as opposed to the design of the game when you first begin.

Good luck and hope this helps.
"I would rather be in the boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks" -Unknown
Personally i would start with the basics...

If you want to go down the path of games, look more towards the 'easier' stuff...

'Madlib' for user input, 'Guess my number' for iteration and randomization... my next step after those was to make a text based cannons game where you punched in angle and power and were given if you hit or missed and by how much - a little bit of physics.

Only recently have i moved to graphics, but if you start off with the above i've found it to be quite easy to start producing stuff with graphics cause the basic understanding of what is needed is already there.
ok im probably gonna get a book this saturday. Is there anything I should do in the meantime? Any good tutorial perhaps?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement