• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
markg

question about pointers

This topic is 3810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a question on pointers. I have been reading a book on c++,and it was showing me alittle about overloading functions. I understand the overloading part of it, but there's only one thing I don't understand.On one of the overloaded functions it has a ** to one of the parameters.Whats the reason for that? Her is the code. //code begin // print_arrs.cpp #include <iostream> using namespace std; void print_arr(int *arr, int n); void print_arr(double *arr, int n); void print_arr(char **arr, int n); int a[] = {1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13}; double b[] = {1.4142, 3.141592}; char *c [] = {"Inken", "Blinken", "Nod"}; int main() { print_arr(a, 7); print_arr(b,2); print_arr(c, 3); return 0; } void print_arr(int *arr, int n) { for (int i = 0; i < n; i++) cout << arr << " " ; cout << endl; } void print_arr(double *arr, int n) { for (int i = 0; i < n; i++) cout << arr << " " ; cout << endl; } void print_arr(char **arr, int n) { for (int i = 0; i < n; i++) cout << arr << " " ; cout << endl; } // code end

Advertisement
void print_arr(int *arr, int n);

It's a function that take an int* arr and an int n.

Arguments:
int n: It's easy to understand only an int.
int *arr: It's a pointer to int, you pass the int's address memory

void print_arr(char **arr, int n);

It's a function that take an int *arr and an int n
int n: It's esasy to understand, only an int.
int **arr: It's a pointer to an int pointer, you pass the POINTER TO INT's adress memory.

Example:

int* a = 0;
int j = 6;
int n = 5;

a = j; // A points to j

// First Function
print_arr(a, n); // 1st argument: you pass the int's address memory pointed by a
// j adress memory

// Second Function
print_arr(&a, n); // 1st argument: you pass the POINTER TO INT's adress memory
// a adress memory

One adress is for a int's memory location and the other adress is for pointer to int's memory location

'*' means a pointer to, or conventionally, the address of. I single '*' means a pointer to or address of the variable supplied. It could also be the start of an array of such variables.

'**' means the same thing, but once removed. Its a pointer to a pointer, or clearer: a pointer to an address of a variable. It could also be the start of an array of addresses for a given variable type. This means 'char **p' makes p a pointer to a char*, or an array of char* values.

Does this make sense?

One reason you might pass a char** to a function is so you can do something like this:

void print_arr(char **arr, int n);
char bob[12][6];
print_arr(bob, 17);

See? You pass 2D arrays as **, 1D arrays as *.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!