Tips for Prepairing for the Gaming world

Started by
5 comments, last by Gaiiden 16 years, 1 month ago
Hey everyone, I am half way through high school and I've already started studying up on game programming and I just wanted some tips on how to prepare myself before going into college to learn programming.So if anyone has any tips on what to study,or about colleges,books or anything like that so I can get a head start please tell me, I would really appreciate it.Thanks [help]
----------------I can only be better programmer by learning,practicing,and staying up to date..
Advertisement
Good work/study habits are... good. Its surprisingly difficult sometimes to roll yourself out of bed and go to class, or do some homework while your buddies are partying on the other side of the room.
It's probably a good idea to improve your math and problem solving skills now that you've got time. Even if you never use math, which I'm pretty sure you will especially if computer graphics and graphics programming is what you want to get serious about, the problem solving skills and the logical and creative thinking abilities that you'll acquire as a result would be an invaluable asset.
You should definately get to know your trig, geometry, algebra and get familiar with the c++ programming language.

Don't waste your time downloading any game building software such as game maker. You can learn some things from this but you will benefit so much more from math and c++.
The best way I have found to get better at game programming is to program games. I know how that sounds, but it is the truth. Spend your free time learning to program better and writing small projects you can complete on your own.

Every time you finish one of those projects it will provide you with a big motivational boost, and the more time you spend programming the more you learn and the better programmer you will become.
Shoot Pixels Not People
Spend the rest of high school drinking $2.50/litre wine and smoking pot, so that by the time you get to college you'll be over it and can focus on study.

Just kidding... or, am, I?

The only credible advice I can give is to make games! Even if they're really simple, even if they're just text, experience is the best teacher.
Quote:Original post by induster
Don't waste your time downloading any game building software such as game maker.

I disagree. Software like Game Maker has been used to create games that have made it into the IGF finals (Clean Asia!, Battleships Forever). It's definitely worth spending some time with such programs for prototyping/experimenting ideas and learning the ins and outs of game mechanics very quickly, in addition to learning low-level coding like C++. (funny how C++ really is becoming a "low-level" language nowadays)

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement