• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

2d Tile Based maps

This topic is 3718 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am having a difficult time figuring out how to design my map format. Basically, what I am doing now is a manual creation of a maps with a scheme like: b1,1,1,2,3,4,3,2,3,b1,b2,d1-3 etc, what that represents is a row of tiles, b meaning its a blocking tile, and then d means to add a doodad at that location, then draw the texture number after the '-', and for all other, the texture id number is the number at the coordinate. So far this works for my simply 50,50 testing map, but I know it will get very difficult to work with once I truly want to design the map and make it useful for what I want to do. I have looked at other free map editors but they seem a bit more complicated than I need. Any ideas on map layouts, tips for designing/editing maps with only a few key features (blocking tiles, doodads, terrain)?

Advertisement
I have my laid out something like :

[ File Header ]
|=== Number of Rows , Cols , Tiles
[ Tile indicies ]
|=== The tile references for each (x,y) coordinate
[ Supplemental Data ]
|=== Spawn Points ( and other triggers points )
|=== Tile descriptions ( each tile reference has an entry which describes it's
characteristics ( solid , transparent , animated etc )

The last block is what you seem to have a problem with. I just store all the descriptions once , as to eliminate redundant data.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!