• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EmptyVoid

Is it better to use a custom texture formats?

This topic is 3807 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well I'm just wondering if there is any advantage to using a custom texture format. The DirectX DDS format has everything I would ever want and then some. I have my own format but I don't think theres any reason to use it. There both just as easy to implement. So what do you guys think would be better and why?

Advertisement
I think you should use the DirectX DDS since it has everything you would ever want and then some, and you can't think of any reasons to use your own... So why are you even thinking of using your own if you can't think of any reasons? [smile]
Just go with the DDS until you find a reason not to, which may or may not happen.

Good luck!

The only reason would be if you want to something out of the ordinary. Like store some extra data inside the texture for some reason. Otherwise, I don't see any need.

Quote:
Original post by Omid Ghavami
I think you should use the DirectX DDS since it has everything you would ever want and then some, and you can't think of any reasons to use your own... So why are you even thinking of using your own if you can't think of any reasons? [smile]
Just go with the DDS until you find a reason not to, which may or may not happen.

Good luck!

I agree.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!