• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Cherub of Death

c# then c++?

This topic is 3720 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I have heard that c# and c++ are both similar and are used to make games and general programs. Is c# easier to learn first then switch to c++, assuming these languages are alike. Thank you. Edit: Also if I should learn C# first are there some tutorials here?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Cherub of Death
So I have heard that c# and c++ are both similar and are used to make games and general programs. Is c# easier to learn first then switch to c++, assuming these languages are alike.
Thank you.

Edit: Also if I should learn C# first are there some tutorials here?
Short answer: C# is a good language to start with (and, depending on what your objectives are, you may in fact never need to bother with C++).

Shorter answer: search the forum archives for 'beginner language' and you'll find plenty of information on this topic.

The two languages are roughly similar in syntax, but have different sets of features. I would say C# is easier, and if you are beginning programming it would be a good choice for you to learn. There is no need to switch to C++ after you learn C#, unless you want to program at a lower level or on embedded systems.

There are many tutorials on C# around the net. Googling "C# tutorial" will get you a plethora of them, such as this one.

Edit: beaten to it.

Quote:
Original post by Cherub of Death
Hm did not know that c++ was lower than c# in a way I am guessing. Also thank you both, if I remember I will post how it goes lol.
Just to avoid any confusion here, the term 'low-level' in reference to a programming language doesn't imply that the language is 'lesser' in any way.

To get a sense of what we're talking about, you might take a look at the Wikipedia entries for low-level programming language and high-level programming language.

The reason C++ will usually take more time to learn than C# is mainly due to it's backwards compatibilty with C.
You see when you learn C++ you are essentially learning 2 languages at once. C++ the way it's meant to be used and the older C way style.
Remember C++ is nearly a superset of C.
If you don't have to work with older C/C++ code(using char arrays, arrays instead of vectors,etc) which isn't realistic in my opinion then it's not as hard.
I've come to this conclusion after reading quite a bit of C++ books.
C# as you may not know is a totally new language like Python where they took the best of existing languages and tried to make a clean,easy to use language and for the most part succeded IMO. Also, they didn't have to worry about backwards compatibilty.

C#'s principal designer and lead architect at Microsoft is Anders Hejlsberg. His previous experience in programming language and framework design (Visual J++, Borland Delphi, Turbo Pascal) can be readily seen in the syntax of the C# language, as well as throughout the Common Language Runtime (CLR) core. In interviews and technical papers he has stated that flaws in most major programming languages (e.g. C++, Java, Delphi, and Smalltalk) drove the fundamentals of the CLR, which, in turn, drove the design of the C# programming language itself.

[Edited by - daviangel on March 17, 2008 1:05:09 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!