best language for a 2D game?

Started by
13 comments, last by vizier 16 years, 1 month ago
Ventured a little bit with Java and VB but they don't seem too suited for writing 2D games? Am I mistaken, and are there better alternatives?
Advertisement
Writing 2D games is somewhat independent of what language you are using. But I've heard good things about Python, with Pygame.
Just choose the language you know/like best. There really is no best language for a 2D game. Keep in mind that general purpose programming languages are - as the name implies - general purpose and hence generally suitable for creating 2D games. Both VB(.NET) and Java are usable.
Both Java and VB are just fine for 2D games. Java gets a lot of use in the casual games market, which is dominated by 2D games.

Use whatever you're comfortable with. If you're most at home with VB, it's certainly possible to make a good 2D game with VB. If you're working alone, it's all about what you want to do; when you start working with other people, knowledge of other languages will start to help out.

If you don't know any languages comfortably yet, there's a lot of debate in these parts about what to start with. Python is a fairly popular choice.

Cheers,
--Brian

What the best language to use depends on your goal. If you want to practice programming using a 2D game then use that language you want to practice. If you want to learn a new language using a 2D game as a project then use that new language. If you just want to put together a 2D game then you should use the language you know best or a language/toolkit dedicated for 2D games (ex: GameMaker).
Thanks. Appreciate the replies. I've had a look up of Pygame and I'm liking the look of it for sure.
It sounds to me like the right path for you is to use Java. If you can compile a Java program already, you just need a little information on the Java2D API (very well documented on the internet) in order to get started with your game. You will use the AWT as well. If you already know a bit about a language, I recommend seeing what you can do with it rather than going out and buying 50$ books that may just divert you from your goal.

Setting up a game in Java is *very easy* and the language is quite capable of handling whatever you will be able to throw at it.

If you feel that you simply don't get along with Java or something, then maybe you should look into Python and Pygame as someone previously stated ^_^

------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
If you aren't comfortable with any languages yet I highly recommend Python with pygame or Flash.
You can easily get a 2D game going within a short period of time withoug getting sidetracked or confused.
The only thing easier would be something like gamemaker.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
If you want a very easy way to create 2D (tile based, although not necessarily restricted to that) games, try out BYOND. I use it if I just want to whip a fun little game to play. You can only play it with people who also have the BYOND client (which is quite a few people.)
Flash/Actionscript is what I've found to be easiest, but I do like pygame a bit more.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement