Uniform Grids and loose octrees

Started by
0 comments, last by RandomAxess 16 years, 1 month ago
This may be a really "basic" question, but here it goes... I'd like to use a good, "fast" dynamic object partitioning system, and they two that seem to come to mind are "loose" octrees and uniform grids. I'm having trouble finding a lot of info on either one, but here is what i've found so far: "loose" octree: where a normal octree is NxNxN sized, the "loose" octree allows the size to be 2Nx2Nx2N, or generally kN, where k is basically the size of the largest object in the scene. This is the "loosened" size, versus the "actual" size. In order to insert or update objects, you just need to find the smallest size that could fit the object in the "loose" node, and look there. This means you must pre-create the octree to a determined level, but that's a cost I'm willing to pay if this can be done quickly. However, my questions are: since the octree is "loosened" and the nodes overlap, how does one effectively determine which node objects should go into? uniform grid: This one i've had the least ability to find. I guess the concept is to pre-divide your space up and then just insert / update objects in it? Any resources or help on these topics would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
Advertisement
It appears I've stuck this in the wrong forum; the appropriate place would have been the "graphics programming" forum. If a moderator feels this is the wrong location and wishes to move it, please do so. Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement