• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Endemoniada

HLSL and Vertex Buffers

This topic is 3724 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, Do I still use the FFP vertex buffers with the FVF when I'm using HLSL or do I transition to something else ? Everything works fine now but I read in a few posts here that the FFP is becoming 'redundant', does that include the FVF vertex buffers ? Thanks.

Advertisement
Yeah, FVF is actually gone in Direct3D 10. You can certainly still use them with shaders in Direct3D9, however you won't be able to do all of the things you can do with vertex declarations.

I'm using a vertex declaration now for my shaders, I make sure it matches the FVF.

How do I create my vertex buffer using the declaration and not the FVF ? Is D3D10 required for that ?

My video card doesn't support D3D10 (it's a 7600GT) so I have to stick with D3D9 for now.

Thanks.

PS - I'm using the March 2008 SDK

Supply 0 (zero) for the FVF parameter of CreateVertexBuffer. That'd tell Direct3D that you're using the buffer with a vertex declaration.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!