• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sandman3D

.3ds viewer

This topic is 3803 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I'm really interested in writing a viewer for .3ds files. Right now I'm doing some initial research before I jump in. I've very briefly summarized what I've come up with so far : 1. Loader: - Need to write a loader for .3ds file - I would need to know the file format details. - I was also considering using FCollada from Feeling Software as an API to read/write Collada files. ( I could export my .3ds models to collada ) - If I support Collada, then I could use my program to view many other file formats as well 2. Internal DataStructures : - Need to have an internal data structure to represent the data that I need. ( I don't need any data maintained for the purpose of editing the 3D Model ) - Haven't done any research here because I haven't planned the rendere yet. 3. Renderer: - Need to write a renderer in OpenGL to render the 3D Content. - I would like to know what would be the simplest approach for displaying a non-editable 3d model file. - I would greatly appreciate it if you guys could point me in the right direction. - Also I can't fully appreciate the problem so I can't really say how complex this thing is. Again I'd love it if you experienced guys could share your thoughts and help me be on my way in terms of further research and coming up with a simple solution for my problem. Thanks in advance guys , Sandman3d

Advertisement
Hi, I found this one day try it out

http://www.morrowland.com/apron/article/general/autodesk_3ds/index.php

I guess it depends on what you want to do it for. If you want to learn from the entire process then making all those things you said above is a really good idea. Although it does seem quite a large project, but if you have the time then go for it. That link provided by ankhd look like it tells you everything you need to know about the format.

If you just wanted to view things or maybe get the dev time down a bit then perhaps you could use an open source loader and then just work on rendering it out and puting in input for moving that camera or something like that. Lib3ds is an open source loader i have used before. I've only used it with OpenGL but i would imagine that it could extract vertex data in a way that could be used with DirectX.

ankhd ! Your link was very helpful man!! Thanks.
And JimmyDeemo, lib3ds would definitely help me check my work.

Thanks you guys for the prompt replies. :)

-sandman3d

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!