DirectX breaks graphics card

Started by
49 comments, last by Evil Steve 16 years, 1 month ago
Hi, Recently i have been encountering many problem with my computer. I have come to worry that my directx apps could have broken my graphics card. Is there anything like that possible at all? I wrote HLSL too but simple lighting. My display keeps giving me problems such as stripes or freeze. Could that be more likely an overheated gfx? Thanks.
Advertisement
Probably overheating.
Quote:Original post by Dave
Probably overheating.

is there any possibility at all to break gfx by say any unsafe HLSL or DX calls?
Quote:Original post by juxie
is there any possibility at all to break gfx by say any unsafe HLSL or DX calls?
Shouldn't be, it just sounds like hardware damage from overheating. Could be a driver issue, but I seriously doubt it.
There's a remote chance, if the driver is buggy and causes the GPU to do something it shouldn't, but even that should only cause overheating as a worst case, and it's extremely unlikely that current video card drivers have bugs of that magnitude in them.

Almost every single graphics card returns to its "out-of-the-box" state when it's powered off. Hence, you can't break it through software only.

Of course, overheating or other hardware problems can still break it, but these are not relate to unsafe software operations.
I am really worried as this is a project which I am doing for my final year.
I hope it's really not the case.
I run my apps on many machines, it just doesn't emulate the problem i have on my notebook.
I am just getting paranoia about it as I haven't found what problem I have with my notebook.
Furthermore, I am just a novice directx programmer.

Was previously using vista when I got 'Display driver stopped working and has recovered'
Then revert to XP, i don't get this message but i get artifacts and stripes on screen.

[Edited by - juxie on March 17, 2008 9:59:23 AM]
Was previously using vista when I got 'Display driver stopped working and has recovered'
Then revert to XP, i don't get this message but i get artifacts and stripes on screen.
Definitely sounds like a driver problem. It's also possible that there's something weird you're doing which the driver isn't handling well (Like writing past the end of a Lock()ed buffer.

Is it possible to install the debug runtimes on a machine to test with? And do all the machines you test on have the same graphics card vendor?
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
Definitely sounds like a driver problem. It's also possible that there's something weird you're doing which the driver isn't handling well (Like writing past the end of a Lock()ed buffer.

Is it possible to install the debug runtimes on a machine to test with? And do all the machines you test on have the same graphics card vendor?

I tested on machines that uses Nvidia 7600, 8600 and machine with integrated card.
They are running fine.
But my machine uses ATI mobility radeon X1600. I Installed it with a catalyst 8.3.
I tested on machines that uses Nvidia 7600, 8600 and machine with integrated card.
They are running fine.
But my machine uses ATI mobility radeon X1600. I Installed it with a catalyst 8.3.
So the problem only happens on your machine? Even more likely to be a driver issue then...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement