• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Link error in C++, but not in C ?

This topic is 3631 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I'm very much a new comer to unix programming - I'm working in Sol 10. I've got a shared library file which I need to link into my program, and I call one of the functions very simply in the main.c file. I'm using the gcc compiler. This works fine. However, I want to use C++ - so I renamed my file main.cpp, changed the compiler to g++ and suddenly it can't find the symbol in the library. I am a real beginner here so I'd very much appreciate any insight. My makefile code is quite simple;
LIBDIR = /opt/devpak
LIBS=$(LIBDIR)/libgctlib.so
CC=g++

all: RDS

RDS: main.o
        $(CC) main.o -o RDS $(LIBS)

main.o: main.cpp
        $(CC) -c main.cpp

clean:
        rm -rf main.o
Thanks.

Advertisement
It's just a function

Undefined first referenced
symbol in file
GCT_receive() main.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to RDS
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `RDS'

Is the library header file wrapped in something like this:

#ifndef SOME_LIBRARY_H
#define SOME_LIBRARY_H

#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" {
#endif

// declarations

#ifndef __cplusplus
}
#endif

#endif

If not, you will have to wrap the includes in an extern "C" block, to disable C++ name mangling.

Thanks rip-off!

That did the trick, so it wasn't a unix specific thing after all... So when C++ attempts to access an external symbol there's some crazy name mangling going on right? Mental note made :)

I noticed in the header file there's a #ifdef LINT_ARGS which only appears to come into force when using a C++ compiler. Is this also something native that I should know about?

Many many thanks again!

C++ allows function overloading, symbols in namespaces and member functions, templates etc to all share the same name. However, (from what I understand) most linkers don't understand C++ symbols. What compilers do is Name Mangling, allowing all these symbols to share the same name in your C++ source while the linker can differentiate them.

This is one of the reasons why C interfaces are often preferred for libraries (even if the library itself is written in C++). Different compilers (or even different versions of the same compiler) can have different name mangling schemes.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement