Working from home for another country

Started by
13 comments, last by nsmadsen 16 years ago
Hi, as we all know the main game industry is based in the USA, as i live in the Uk this could pose a problem. i know there are UK based companies such as LionHead but i am wondering if abroad companies take onboard people from other contries and allow them to work either from home or have stations based in the UK which work with them. thank you
Advertisement
What kind of work do you do? What kind of portfolio do you have?

Telecommuting has a lot of communications issues, so it is generally avoided unless you can offer a truly unique / market lacking service.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
well i currently am in my second year at univercity doing computer games software development and i am hoping to get into the harcore programming aspects of the job. i am not sure yet specificaly though of where i want to be department wise but i am doing an asignment where i need to find out aspects of the game industry. As you said there are problems with communication do these "offices" exist though in the uk where they share project
One thing to bear in mind is that if you're working in the USA, you'll be paid in dollars, and the USD/GBP exchange rate is pretty crappy just now, meaning you won't be paid very much.

There's plenty of games companies in the UK though...
Highly unlikely. Even if you have something to offer that cannot be found anywhere in the US, the constraints (time zones, legal overhead and most importantly the absence of face-to-face communication) make it undesirable for a company to do so. If you would live in a place where a month's salary would only buy you a candy bar in the West, you might have a chance to get some contracting work in programming. The UK obviously is not such a country. However, the UK does has more than a decent video game industry, so it worth to try it closer to home. If you can't make it there, you won't make anywhere.*

Quote:Original post by stecooper123
the harcore programming aspects

What is this hardcore programming you speak of?

Quote:i am not sure yet specificaly though of where i want to be department wise

Perhaps you should find this out first then.

problems with communication

I don't complain about this often, but please check your spelling.

* Frank Sinatra called, etc.....
Wow i never thought of that. thats a very good point to take into concideration though, who would you say that the major uk developers are.
Why don't you hop onto IGDA.org and look?
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
i am wondering if abroad companies take onboard people from other contries

Yes, international freelancing does exist. Read FAQ 63 to learn how to become a freelancer.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Wow i never thought of that. thats a very good point to take into concideration though, who would you say that the major uk developers are.

Have a look for yourself: http://gamedevmap.com/
Thank you WanMaster, that map looks quite interesting, i has a quick look and i think this will be very useful. Also thank you to everyone else for your help

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement