[web] What do you use to write PHP?

Started by
30 comments, last by spookycat 16 years ago
I'm poking around the net looking for some good PHP editors. Which ones do you use? What made you choose the one you're using instead of the others? What's the biggest daily pain in the a** caused by your PHP editor? Or the missing/misimplemented feature that bothers you the most?
Advertisement
I use Notepad++, but it's just an advanced text editor with syntax highlighting for many different languages (including PHP). I don't do that much stuff in PHP anymore, but it works for me.

Quote:What made you choose the one you're using instead of the others?

I used UltraEdit before, but this one is free and doesn't clutter the menus with millions of features I don't need.

Quote:What made you choose the one you're using instead of the others? What's the biggest daily pain in the a** caused by your PHP editor? Or the missing/misimplemented feature that bothers you the most?

Nothing really. It does what it needs to do. But I'm a very simple man with very little needs.
I use Midnight Commander for editing php (no, not live on the production machine :D)
Q: How many programmers does it take to write a nice piece of software?A: MORE.
Depends on your coding style. I generally use Vim for everyday editing, but Textmate, e-Editor and Intype are pretty good, too. For debugging, testing and integration, I use Waterproof PHPEdit. And of course there's always PHPEclipse.
I used to use Notepad++ but in recent projects I've wanted my IDE to help me out. I started using Eclipse with the PHP plugin and it's ok. There's a lot to be desired, like cross file search or code cross referencing.
Quote:Original post by Colin Jeanne
I used to use Notepad++ but in recent projects I've wanted my IDE to help me out. I started using Eclipse with the PHP plugin and it's ok. There's a lot to be desired, like cross file search or code cross referencing.

Jeez, no cross-file searching? That's ridiculous.

What do you mean by "code cross referencing"?
emacs for the edition, with make, ncftp, phpDoc for the rest of the functionality.

Concerning 'cross-file searching', to search for "FooBar" in all your files, M-x grep RET FooBar *.php RET [smile]
Quote:Original post by BeanDog
What do you mean by "code cross referencing"?

Say I want to see where a particular method is defined or all the locations that it's used in. I would like some method of getting that information, preferably within the IDE. This requires an understanding of the syntax of the language and the PHP Eclipse plugin makes no attempt to do this. Considering that I cant even figure out how to search for something across all the files in my project I cant even do poorman's cross-referencing by searching for the function's name and then filtering out all the false positives.

Right now I use PHPXref to do cross-referencing but overall the utility sucks since it's external from the IDE and only supports the poorman's method of cross-referencing.

I wonder how you can do better than simply grepping the name in the entire source directory... PHP doesn't have the static structure required to do serious static analysis.
I use Kate, the KDE text editor. Back in the old days when I still used Windows I used HTML-Kit for all my PHP coding needs. I much prefer a good text editor to an IDE. IDEs always get in my way.

As for debugging, I recently discovered XDebug, but I haven't had the time to try it out yet. It looks good though:

http://tech.blog.box.net/2007/06/20/how-to-debug-php-with-vim-and-xdebug-on-linux/

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement