Question about Football Players's name and likeness in Pro Evolution Soccer copyright

Started by
10 comments, last by Morgan Ramsay 16 years ago
Hi all. EA signed a exclusive deal with NFL and ESPN. This deal allow EA to use Teams's name and Logos, Players'name and likeness in theirs sport series (Fifa Soccer 08). But Konami also use Teams'name and Logos, Players's name and likeness in Pro Evolution Soccer series (except English Premier League) I have one question : how Konami has the rights to use Teams'name and Logos, Players's name and likeness in their Pro Evolution Soccer series ?
Advertisement
As far as I know, EA didn't sign an exclusive agreement for soccer, they signed it with the NFL (National Football League) for the sport American Football. In the USA, "Football" is a completely different sport than soccer, and EA's American Football game is the Madden series.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

I also want to point out that the NFL came up with the idea of an exclusive license and shopped it to all the game publishers. EA had the most to lose (at the time, the Madden franchise accounted for a full 10% of EA's annual revenue!), so it ponied up the most - and incurred the ire of self-righteous gamers everywhere. It's kinda funny, actually.

FIFA is safe from such craven behavior, for the most part.
I known that Pro Evolution Soccer Player's names and likeness licence is FIFPro's licence. Do you know the price of this licence ?
And how about the Club's names and logos ? How can Konami and EA take this licence ?
Quote:Original post by Teegu_vn
I known that Pro Evolution Soccer Player's names and likeness licence is FIFPro's licence. Do you know the price of this licence ?
And how about the Club's names and logos ? How can Konami and EA take this licence ?

Usually the cost of licenses is kept secret. Corporations pay many millions of dollars every year for them.

Consider that EA's public earnings statements show about $3 billion per year, and Oluseyi's statement about 10% of their revenue, we'll estimate the net revenue from the product at $300M per year.

With a product line generating that much money, I can easily imagine the company spending anywhere from $10M - $50M EACH YEAR to keep all those licenses with the organizations and individuals.

Also in their frequent press releases, you can see that they have cross-licensing deals with many companies, which are quite valuable. Consider just this one deal where Hasbro was willing to spend almost $20M to break an existing contract, just so they could cross-license with EA. That implies that this single cross license is worth much more than $40M to Hasbro, and probably more than that to EA.
Quote:Original post by Teegu_vn
The exact terms are secret but it will be many millions of $.
Quote:And how about the Club's names and logos ? How can Konami and EA take this licence ?
Licenses are sometimes non-exclusive (meaning that more than one company can license a property. It means that the companies pay less for the license as their competitors may be able to use it too but it is often still worth having as it makes something authentic.

Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
I was under the impression that the FIFA license was exclusive to EA, but Pro Evo has a license agreement with FIFPro for the player names and likenesses, and privately licenses a select number of teams.

Either way, both companies are paying in the multi-million range for these licenses, and there's a good possibility that one company is paying less than the other.

Sometimes the bigger company can negotiate a better deal, but sometimes the license holder is able to argue their side with arguments such as: "This product makes a bajilion dollars BECAUSE of our license, if you want the license, you'll have to pay for it".
FIFPro sell licences for real player names and likenesses for US$1 mill or at least they used to according to someone I know who wanted to purchase it...obviously it was to much for an indie developer.

EA has an exclusive deal for the German leagues to have real team names and competition names

PES has an exclusive deal with the Japanese league to have real team and competition names

For other countries, the FA or the league sells the rights for team names and competition names but in some countries team sell the rights to their team name separately, I think this happens in Italy.
Quote:Original post by gp_s
FIFPro sell licences for real player names and likenesses for US$1 mill or at least they used to according to someone I know who wanted to purchase it...obviously it was to much for an indie developer.

How do you know this prize ? Are you sure ?
Thank you !
All licence prices are set under negotiation between the parties looking to buy and the parties looking to sell the licence. These figures are not public domain, and any that you hear are simply heresay. Although, these licenses are in fact multimillion dollar deals.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement