• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
baixiangzhlt

what configuration should I have?

This topic is 3892 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey guys,I decide to buy a computer to start develping my own game.so what's the lowest configuration if I wish to use directx 9 or 8?and the game should be able to display gorgeous special effects,should not have to be loading for a long time.just tell me the cpu is enough.I think I need 512m main memory and 256 video memory. P.S. sorry if I posted in a wrong place,but I eagerly want to create my first game .

Advertisement
What kind of PC you need depends on what kind of effects and "beauty" you want, and only you know that.

for example, if you want to use pixel shader 3, get a v-card that supports pixel shader 3.

how much ram you get depends on how much you want to store in memory (hence it's directly proportional to your level geometry size, amount of objects etc.)

Overall, I'd say the more powerful the better. You can develop games that don't take full advantage of your hardware with easy, but not vice-versa.

Also, on another note, getting a not "top-of-the-line" hardware might actually be a good motivation to optimize your code as much as possible rather than relying on your end user having the lastest geforce 99999

My advice would be to get a decent amount of RAM. Some IDE's out there (not mentioning any names :D) can be big resource hogs. 2GB's should do you just right.

Apart from what Koobazaur about Shader support (i.e. If you want to program shaders as some point, get a video card that supports them), get what you can afford. If its just going to be your development PC and you just starting out, i would say your not going to be doing much high-end stuff straight away. Hence not much need for the power.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!