• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Upload bandwidth use?

This topic is 3628 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I've started to design the server-system for an possible online game. The idea is to create low-level mmorpg. The game includes 3D graphics and they are designed to be cartoony. Players can create parties, use items, carry items up to specific weight, attack creatures etc.. The problem is that I don't have good upload speed (~300kbs) and I need to be sure how much will a player hog of it? Calculations include storing changed items, position, level and other stats, equips, partystatus and experience per heartbeat. I took an average of 5kb/s per user, but I'm pretty sure it's a bit off.

Advertisement
Nobody will be able to answer this question, as it depends on a dozen factors, such as your serialisation method, update algorithm, update frequency, and a lot of in-game details too, which are all unknown. So, anything is possible...

Thought so.

Well, I think, as I get to test this system next week, I'll get some profitable information, of how many I can host up.

When you do test it, do not make the mistake to generalize too easily, or you may get terribly wrong results.

For example, imagine a typical RPG which transmits (among a lot of different things) character positions.
If you run your test with 20 clients and see that it only consumes 200 bps (randomly chosen number) per character, you might get a nasty surprise when doing the same thing with 200 clients (depending on your algorithm). If you test with 200 evenly distributed characters, then again, you might get a nasty surprise when your server runs in a real environment.
In a real game, you will find 3/4 of the players standing around the bank/store/marketplace, which defeats most of the easy N*(N-1) algorithms, so you may end up transferring much, much more data than you anticipated with your tests. This worst case should be taken into account.

There are of course algorithms to work around the marketplace problem, but it won't be as simple as "only look at everything within 25 meters" or "only look at everything on the same grid tile".

Quote:
~300kbs

300 kilo-BITS? or 300 kilo-BYTES?

300 kbps means between 30 and 37 kilo-bytes per second (kBps). That means you can host exactly 5 users at 5 kBps.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement