• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

moving 2D image.....

This topic is 3716 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi friends, I have stuck for this problem for 2 whole day, decided to find it on Google, then found this community here. Let's say, I create a 2D polygon image, and I want to move it around in my windows screen. Yes, I have successfully make it move by using its vector, but what I want is, the 2D image will go to other direction after its reach the edge of the screen, and move on, and after its reach at another edge, it will change it direction again and again, so its appear move around on the windows only. May I have some basic Idea on how to do this. Only the basic idea or suggestion on how to do this. Thanks.

Advertisement
Well use a Ai idea this is hypothetical and places an idea of logic
For you to work with.

First example
Action 1
Action-patrol
Action on activation go to action
action 2
Action 2
Action-move to target
Action-attack
Action - if targets lost go to action
Action-action 1
So in logic you know the directive and also the sub directive if
Directive fails
Put it to your work
Action1
Action -move curser up
Action-if contact boundary 1 go to action
Action-action 2
Action 2
Action-move curser down
Action-if contact boundary 2 go to action
Action-action 1
So by stipulating a bounding box as a hole or in 4 segments you are able to control direction threw action
He he I hope that was an exciting way to make some thing simple sound complex

Do you want your 2D object to rotate? If so, that would be a little more complicated.

If you don't want it to rotate, check your leftmost point against the left of the screen ( probably 0 ) If your left most point is off the screen, then move your object back to the right by this much, and negate (0-x) the X component of your movement vector.

Do this for all the other sides.

You could inverse the velocity vector. VelVec.x *= -1; VelVec.y *= -1;
if you mean that it should warp around the screen, you just have to change its position vector.

if(PosVec.x > SCREEN_WIDTH)
PosVec.x = 0;

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!