• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SeeForever

How good is the retro business?

This topic is 3802 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings, Look at this site: http://www.gameconsoles.com/ There are modern ColecoVision games selling for 35 bucks a copy. I'm amazed. I mean, I wouldn't pay that much when I can get similar games on eBay for a lot cheaper, so what's the secret? How good are the sales? And how hard could it be to make this sort of game? I've already started porting one of my earlier games over to this console and it doesn't feel that complex at all. Does this mean easy money, or am I missing something here? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
That's a very broad set of questions.

Yes, there is a great business market for it. Obviously there is, and you mentioned people are already selling it.

I'd have to say "no" to the question of "easy money". Assuming you finish the game, you'll still need to make sure it is marketed to the right people, convince them to buy for the price you want, and then collect the money. Exactly how you do that is the hard part.

Yes, "easy money" is always too good to be true.

But this is still my best job opportunity so far. I'll finish this game (actually, I have to start over because there's an identical game on the page I linked to... grr.) and then I'll see how I go about selling it.

Thanks!

It's probably pretty easy to create a ColecoVision quality game.

However, it's probably pretty hard to create a ColecoVision quality game ON THE COLECOVISION.

I have no idea what sort of tools you need (although the website you referenced probably lists them) to get it running on hardware, but I can't imagine it would be what I'd call easy.

Lastly I would imagine that selling coleco vision games wouldn't be that easy. It's definately an extremely niche market, inhabited only by collectors and a sliver of the population that defies a reasonable label.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!