Sign in to follow this  
justinCedric2nd

OpenGL Flip texture in DevIL

Hi. I'm using DevIl for loading my textures but the images get displayed top-down so I want to flip them vertically. I use C# and the Tao framework for the OpenGL and DevIl stuff. Here's how I load the texture:
   int _texture;

Il.ilInit();
   //Ilu.iluInit();
   Ilut.ilutInit();
   Ilut.ilutRenderer(Ilut.ILUT_OPENGL);

// **1**

_texture = Ilut.ilutGLLoadImage("knight512.png");   

// **2**
From the DevIl docs I know the functions Ilu.iluFlipImage() and Il.ilOriginFunc(Il.IL_ORIGIN_UPPER_LEFT);Il.ilEnable(Il.IL_ORIGIN_SET) but I could not find out how /when to use them correctly. In the example above I tried both placing at **1** and **2** with no effect. Do you have a clue what's missing? What would be the easiest way to flip the texture?? regards. jc

I am not sure but doesn't DevIL handle this for you when you specify Ilut.ilutRenderer(Ilut.ILUT_OPENGL) ?

Anyways, OpenGL requires an image to be aligned to lower left. Not all formats store images this way. Depending on the format you use and the co-ordinate system you apply try flipping the texture.

For OpenGL

ILinfo ImageInfo;
iluGetImageInfo(&ImageInfo);
if( ImageInfo.Origin == IL_ORIGIN_UPPER_LEFT )
{
iluFlipImage();
}

If you are following the DirectX style then textures are aligned to upper left corner.So

ILinfo ImageInfo;
iluGetImageInfo(&ImageInfo);
if( ImageInfo.Origin == IL_ORIGIN_LOWER_LEFT )
{
iluFlipImage();
}

the other option is to change the origin on the source image..
cant remember exactly how, but if i make an intelligent guess it would be ilSetParameter/ilSetImageOrigin or something OpenGL'esq