USB Flash Drive

Started by
7 comments, last by benryves 16 years ago
can i just ask if there is really a difference if you buy usb flash drive from a reputable brand and a normal one??? if so what brand do you recommend?? thanks
Advertisement
the tech is so proven these days that it doesn't really matter who you buy it from, it'll work. There's no real brand-recognition for thumb drives, instead companies compete solely with features. Some are said to be indestructible, others have small digital readouts for storage capacity, some are built more compact. In the end tho they're all the same, just depends on which features are best for you

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

thanks for the fast reply!!
I bought one from PNY. It went through the washer and dryer twice and it still worked.

However it did just break on me because I didn't keep the cap on and the pins that connect the USB broke.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

The actual flash memory chips will probably be the same anyway. These are also (usually) cheap almost throwaway devices, so if you find a bad brand just don't buy from them anymore.
Most of the cheap ones that I've bought have failed (still worked, but would randomly corrupt files) from a few months after purchase to a few years after purchase.

I've only bought one brand name one (a Sony), and it got broken from being tossed around in a backpack (my fault, same as Lazy Foo - the USB connector came loose) rather than a component failure.
I still use the cheap one I bought from ByteStor about four years ago daily; it might only be 128MB, but it's still useful. [smile]

Another (more compact) option is a cheap SD card (such as this 2GB one). I keep my card in my wallet, and in the off-chance that the PC I'm using doesn't have an SD card reader I bought a USB SD/MMC card reader from a pound shop (about the same size as a regular Flash drive, and you can keep the card in it).

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Quote:Original post by benryves
I still use the cheap one I bought from ByteStor about four years ago daily; it might only be 128MB, but it's still useful. [smile]

Another (more compact) option is a cheap SD card (such as this 2GB one). I keep my card in my wallet, and in the off-chance that the PC I'm using doesn't have an SD card reader I bought a USB SD/MMC card reader from a pound shop (about the same size as a regular Flash drive, and you can keep the card in it).

Seeing as most computers I've come across don't have a SD card reader, I don't see how this is really any more compact than a regular flashdrive if you have to carry the reader with your normally.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Quote:Original post by Talroth
Seeing as most computers I've come across don't have a SD card reader...
I've found the opposite is true. *shrugs*

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement