im so weak in math/physics!!

Started by
7 comments, last by Jroggy 16 years, 1 month ago
so im gonna need a collision library. What's the best out there?? by the way, im a beginner in the 3D World (DirectX), so when i say "best" it should mean well-documented and beginner-friendly.
Advertisement
ODE
Another choice is Bullet.
Newton GD.

PhysX.

Or better still, learn a bit about two or three before deciding. Once you get the ball rolling in one, you will be aware of the principles behind the others. Not only will you get the experience of installing new libraries, but you will be able to choose the one you like best.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
Personally, I'd recommend getting educated about some of the theory and background, in general, before trying to choose a library. A fantastic tutorial is given each year at the GDC conference, by Jim van Verth and his Merry Men (er....). You can find the Powerpoint at the following link. Really, these presentations are very well done, and should help even if you are somewhat weak in 3D/geometry/math:

Essential Math for Games Programmers. Go through the presentations in order.

Another thing...there is a sticky thread in this forum that lists the various physics engines and some resources. Doesn't directly answer your question, but you may find it useful.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
grhodes, do you have Collision Detection, by Gino van den Bergen? The link appears to be dead.
I don't have an electronic copy of the 2008 version, but the link to the 2007 version works. The 2007 slides shouldn't be hugely different, if at all. But, for beginners I would start at the beginning. There are useful concepts on collision detection even in the overview presentation.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
The website is amazing! Very useful! Thank you!
I love this web site "Essential Math for Games Programmers"
You may like the book then (Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications... whew, long title). I own it and it's a very good book. You need a somewhat good understanding of mathematics before reading it though, if you want to understand everything.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement