Sign in to follow this  
ajm113

Controlling FPS in my game?

How can I control FPS in my game? I have a pong game going under OpenGL, C++ and the paddles move the way I want them on my PC, but on my school's pcs. They move very fast! So how can I keep that from happening? I did look for code samples and articles, but couldn't find any. :(

Quote:
Original post by ajm113
How can I control FPS in my game? I have a pong game going under OpenGL, C++ and the paddles move the way I want them on my PC, but on my school's pcs. They move very fast! So how can I keep that from happening? I did look for code samples and articles, but couldn't find any. :(

You need to add a timer to your program.

Sorry I thought I clicked on the Game Dev forums, but oh well. Oh yeah I need to add a time of milliseconds that I render my game correct?

Quote:
Original post by ajm113

The technique you're describing is generally called a "frame limiter", and is mostly no longer used (except maybe when the hardware configuration is fixed).

Instead, you should try to implement "frame-rate independent movement", so that no matter what the frame-rate is, the game will play at the same speed.
This is achieved by measuring the length of time that it takes your game to process a single frame, and multiplying all speed values by this elapsed-time value.

For example, this hypothetical game loop updates a position value by a fixed amount:

while( shouldQuit == false )
{
if( keys['A'] == true )
position += 1;
if( keys['Z'] == true )
position -= 1;

UpdateOtherStuff();
Render();
}

This one updates by a variable amount depending on the frame-rate:

float currentTime = getTimeInSeconds();
float lastTime = currentTime;
float deltaTime;
while( shouldQuit == false )
{
deltaTime = lastTime - currentTime;
lastTime = currentTime;
currentTime = getTimeInSeconds();

if( keys['A'] == true )
position += 1.0f * deltaTime;
if( keys['Z'] == true )
position -= 1.0f * deltaTime;

UpdateOtherStuff( deltaTime );
Render();
}

These examples are based off a hypothetical "getTimeInSeconds" function - the easiest way to make one of these is to use the timeGetTime on Windows.