Sign in to follow this  
Kephix111

Problem with Visual C++ & HLSL

Kephix111    122
I've started trying to learn how to use HLSL, but my programs have problems running. Whenever I try to run the program, the name and icon pop up on the toolbar like it's working, but then it just hangs there. It shows the compiler but I can't click on it. I have to alt+tab out of the program and close it from there to get rid of it. I'm using Visual C++ 2008 and if it's of any importance, the tutorial I'm using is in the shader section of www.directxtutorial.com, the first lesson of that section. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

MJP    19754
Set a breakpoint somewhere in the code, and then you can step through line by line with F10 and F11 (F11 will go into function calls, F10 won't). You can also break into the debugger at any point, but you'll have to get focus back to VS through alt-tab or whatever.

Kephix111    122
Ok I did that and it showed me the line

effect->FindNextValidTechnique(NULL, &technique);

And when I looked at the pointer technique, it give me the error "CXX0030: Error: expression cannot be evaluated);"

MJP    19754
A D3DXHANDLE isn't a pointer, even though it probably is typedef'ed to a C pointer type. Therefore when the debugger looks at it it thinks it's a pointer and tries to dereference it, but being a handle it doesn't actually point to readable memory.