How do I choose what device to render on with OpenGL?

Started by
6 comments, last by Nexus 24 years, 5 months ago
Hmmm,
- Just because Quake3 works doesn't mean OpenGL is set up correctly. Q3 came with it's on mini-drivers for the Voodoo series (and usually uses them over any other drivers.)
- You have to make sure that you've loaded the OpenGL ICD for Voodoo2 in Windows. I'm pretty sure it's still available for download from 3Dfx.
Advertisement
Ah..
I did install the reference drivers which include OpenGL 1.1 support. I stupidly assumed that windows would be smart enough to load the proper one, but guess not. I copied and renamed it to openGL32.dll from the v2 install directory and placed it in my working directory and works fine now.

Course I have an annoying 3dfx splash screen on my demo now...but I guess I'll just live with that for now.

Thanks,

Nex

OpenGL uses the default paths to load the opengl32.dll.

You can however choose between multiple dlls, you just have to load them yourself (which is how q3 handles it)

Hi, I had the same trouble so I tried copying the file into the directory same way- it worked for the most part except for the wglUseFontOutlines function.
This function caused a fce and halted the program... Should I be using some other method to display text?
I dont use any of WGL. Sounds like it wasn't implemented in the .dll that you are using? (Is WGL loaded from the OpenGL32.dll or from another? I'm not sure.)
I dont think that the 3dfx OpenGL implementation is complete, and this is probably just one of the things they didn't bother to add.
Hmm, ya that's what it's beginning to look like.. Are there non-wgl functions for doing text?
Hey all,
I've got my OpenGL proggie running fine and dandy on my Ultra TNT2 equipped machine, but my Voodoo2 machine wants to use software to do everything. It's trying to render via the primary adapter and ignoring the pass-through voodoo2. I know it's setup right because Quake3 runs perfect.

How do I tell OpenGL to render on my Voodoo2?

Thanks,
Nex

Ahhh! I managed to fix the wgl function, it works in the 3dfx driver, it's just a little pickier (can't pass in null for the glyphmetrics parameter anymore).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement