Sign in to follow this  
Tesshu

Slow upload speeds.

Sorry if this is OT but I am assuming many have had the same problem. I am hosting a game using a DSL connection that claims to get 3M DL and 800K UL. Note this connection isn't expected to host the game by any means, its just a dev connection. I tried a speed test and got 2.5M DL and 600K UL. Now I didn't expect to hit thier numbers but the problem is that my game only seems to get 65K UL. So then I setup a ftp server and got the same numbers. Is this normal or should I be bugging my ISP?

Most ISPs advertise their speeds in Kbits, most software counts traffic in Kbytes.
Divide the speed advertised by 8 to convert it to Kbytes.
You'll still just get your theoretical speed, due to overhead, you might lose something like 1/6 of your bandwidth, sometimes more sometimes less depending on the protocol.
And yes, it is OT.

Quote:
Original post by xor
Most ISPs advertise their speeds in Kbits, most software counts traffic in Kbytes.
Divide the speed advertised by 8 to convert it to Kbytes.
You'll still just get your theoretical speed, due to overhead, you might lose something like 1/6 of your bandwidth, sometimes more sometimes less depending on the protocol.
And yes, it is OT.

I wish I had a do over :) Your exactly right, not sure what I was thinking with my numbers.

Your numbers are actually quite good. I pay for 16,000 kbit/s download and 1024 kbit/s upload, and what I am getting is 7400-7600 kbit/s download and 800-850 kbit/s upload.

From my ISP's point of view (1&1), this is perfectly normal, and 16,000 is rather a theoretical rate rather than a serious number. Sure enough, the terms of service contain the wording "up to" in very small print, too.

Lucky you. I'm 14,000 feet from the XO, and thus can only get 1536 down and 384 up. I do get that, most of the time, though.
At least I get static IPs, and am not in a banned subnet for SMTP (like you'd be with Comcast).