Sign in to follow this  
Chrono1081

Anyone know if this is legal?

If I am putting music in a game for a class project that is not going to be seen by anyone except the classmates and professor, (it will not go online or be used for profit) is it legal to use a techno song in it that is probably copywrited? I am assuming the answer is no but I thought Id ask.

Legal questions like this are asked very frequently in the Business forum.
But anyway, to answer the OP's Q:
No, it's not "legal," but you're not going to get sued for doing it.

In France, this is illegal and could get you sued (to be exact, you'll get fined EUR 75 by the SACEM). Check your local laws for more details.

You can try :

http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/index.php

and find open source alternatives, which will be leagal to distribute as long as you attribute the samples.

-ddn

or you can just not worry about something so small, thats like being sued if you have a family video at a wedding and the hamster dance is playing in the background. As long as you don't distribute it, nothing bad will happen to you.

Doesn't the "fair use" clause for copyrights usually extend to educational use?

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, unless your school plans to put it online.

Another option would be to change the song by 10% i belive this is legal since its not the orignal song. This is how people can pretty much create the same thing with a twisted in the project.

Quote:
Original post by monsterenergy
Another option would be to change the song by 10% i belive this is legal

He who acts as his own attorney has a fool for a client.
See the case of Bright Tunes Music v. Harrisongs Music (The Chiffons' "He's So Fine" vs. George Harrison's "My Sweet Lord," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Sweet_Lord)

Fair use does have provisions for educational use, but if you do it I would try to keep it under wraps and not distribute it any farther than you have to.

Quote:
Original post by monsterenergy
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Music/musiclaw2.html

I like this part of that site:

Quote:
Music that Can be Used in Education Without Permission or License and played in the class room if:
-you have the permission of the publishers

Thanks for the replies guys :)I think I'm gonna go the open source route. Reason being is since the submission is made online you never know who ends up with it and the last thing I want is for someone to run and stick it on a website somewhere. I used to make a living off of photography so I'm pretty mindful when it comes to copyrighted material and I don't want to rip anyone off.

Quote:
Original post by godsenddeath
thats like being sued if you have a family video at a wedding and the hamster dance is playing

OffTopic: I can't imagine what my future wife would say if i suggested that as the first dance. :D