• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
osso

OpenGL How do you control the scene view?

This topic is 3776 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Pretty new to opengl, I am trying to model an earth ellipsoid and I have noticed if i zoom right in, the surface of the ellipsoid appears clipped, likewise when i zoom right out, it appears that the ellipsoid is being clipped by a rear plane? why is this? I am assuming that there is a near and far view setting for the scene? I think I may need to adjust this, where can I read up about the opengl view camera settings? Regards James

Advertisement
Yup, there are near and far planes in the view frustum that will clip the scene. You generally want the near plane to be as far as possible, and the far plane to be as near as possible. Depending on how you're currently setting up your projection, you can change these values. It's likely you're using either glFrustum or gluPerspective , with the parameters and information linked to.

Also, not that you are (since things seem to be rendering correctly), but never use 0.0f as your near plane.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!