MinGW with OpenGL

Started by
6 comments, last by Sneftel 16 years, 1 month ago
I'm trying to compile an OpenGL program using MinGW, but I'm not having much luck. The following is my output: C:\progs>g++ torus.cpp -lopengl32 -lglu32 -lglut32 -o torus.exe torus.cpp:13:1: warning: "M_PI" redefined In file included from torus.cpp:11: C:/MinGW/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/math.h:58:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition C:\DOCUME~1\AARONC~1.PA0\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccCedaaa.o:torus.cpp:(.text+0x1c): undefined reference to `__glutInitWithExit@12' C:\DOCUME~1\AARONC~1.PA0\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccCedaaa.o:torus.cpp:(.text+0x3d): undefined reference to `__glutCreateWindowWithExit@8' C:\DOCUME~1\AARONC~1.PA0\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccCedaaa.o:torus.cpp:(.text+0x5d): undefined reference to `__glutCreateMenuWithExit@8' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status C:\progs> I have the the following header files in c:\MinGW\include\GL gl.h gluax.h glext.h glu.h glui.h glut.h Any ideas on what to do? Thanks.
Advertisement
I don't think MinGW ships with GLUT (the linker errors are for missing GLUT functions). You're probably going to have to download and build the library yourself (with MinGW), then specify the path to the GLUT library on the command line when you compile.
Quote:Original post by taesen00
C:\progs>g++ torus.cpp -lopengl32 -lglu32 -lglut32 -o torus.exe

I don't think this is related to your problem, but your link order is backward. It should be -lglut32 -lglu32 -lopengl32 (and every time I have used a native glut it has been named just -lglut).
I would say since your running from a temp folder, me thinks your trying to run from a zip at which point it won't work. Try from a directory such as "C:\Stuff"
Thanks for the tips. I tried building the library myself, but that didn't happen. Not sure why it's going to temp files though, but as far as I know, I'm not doing anything from an compressed folders.

Anywhere I can find some directions on how to build the library using MinGW?
Woohoo! Got it. Looks like I didn't have the glut32.lib in the right place. Thanks for the suggestions though. I put it in the mingw/lib and all was well.
Quote:Original post by Neutrinohunter
I would say since your running from a temp folder, me thinks your trying to run from a zip at which point it won't work. Try from a directory such as "C:\Stuff"

No, no, no. The temp folder is where the object files are output before linking. Once the exe is built, these is no need for them so they are deleted.
Look at his working dir - "C:\progs>" it's not a temp folder.

I suggest using Dev-Cpp, it's takes care of all the command line stuff. It's like Visual Studio for MinGW
[Window Detective] - Windows UI spy utility for programmers
Quote:Original post by XTAL256
I suggest using Dev-Cpp, it's takes care of all the command line stuff. It's like Visual Studio for MinGW

Or Visual Studio. It's like Dev-CPP for the twenty-first century.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement