What's a good archiving library?

Started by
6 comments, last by Bearhugger 16 years ago
I'm thinking of releasing my game, but there is about 500 files so I would like to pack them all in a single archive file. Something like Blizzard's MPQ, Quake's PAK or Square-Enix's LGP. I've begun to write my own library but it is a lot more complicated then I thought it would be, especially since I care about speed and I would like it to be compressed and support streaming. Anyone knows of a good free format I could use?
Advertisement
ZIP. Use the 7zip library or gzip.
+1 for 7zip if you can go down the open source lib road. (Never mind it is LGPL so it can be used in close source.) If not there is always zlib it is a zip library that is bsd style license so you can use it close source.
Zlib doesn't seem to support archives, only the compression algorithm.

I've looked at 7-zip before posting, and I'm giving it another look, but I find the support for developers extremely lacking. The documentation is lacking. I seem to have to download the source and compile it just to have a DLL and a LIB. It says there is an example in the source package but I haven't found one. It also says to use a DLL but there is no header or libs. (I suppose I have to compile the lib.)
I'm guessing that you want a vfs library instead of some archive library, so I would go for something like PhysFS.
Quote:Original post by Bearhugger
Zlib doesn't seem to support archives, only the compression algorithm.

An unzip implementation is included with zlib.
If all you want is to read zip files, you can simply write your own loader, thats pretty easy with the zip format specification from wotsit.org

for compressed files use the zlib
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
Unzip should do, at least for now. Thanks everyone for your input, it was helpful. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement