Sign in to follow this  

DrawSubset problem

This topic is 3551 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i have a very strange problem and it makes absolutely no sense. i have a mesh, and its local bounding box. I use a shader to transform it into world space. This is the function for drawing:: -------------------------------------------------------- //compute a local bouding box from the mesh and draw it //Get localBox NMapVertex* v = 0; m_Mesh->LockVertexBuffer(0, (void**)&v); D3DXComputeBoundingBox((D3DXVECTOR3*)v, m_Mesh->GetNumVertices(), sizeof(NMapVertex), &m_Box.minPt, &m_Box.maxPt); m_Mesh->UnlockVertexBuffer(); D3DXVECTOR3 minVec; minVec.x = m_Box.maxPt.x - m_Box.center().x; minVec.y = m_Box.maxPt.y - m_Box.center().y; minVec.z = m_Box.maxPt.z - m_Box.center().z; minVec *= 2; ID3DXMesh* box; D3DXCreateBox(g_Device, minVec.x, minVec.y, minVec.z, &box, 0); box->DrawSubset(0); box->Release(); ------------------------------------------------------------ //Draw the mesh m_Mesh->DrawSubset(0); i already set the world*view*proj matrix to my shader, but what now happens is very strange. As you can see i draw 2 things, first i calc my local bounding box, build a ID3DXMesh* from it and draw it. The second time i just draw my Mesh. Now correct me if im wrong but after this draw call both meshes should be drawed at the same position, but they are not :S the m_Mesh->DrawSubset(0) draws the mesh around 5 y-pos above the bounding box and i have absolutely no idea why. anyone knows what could cause that problem? (I set no states or anything between these 2 calls and the shader is the same)

Quote:
Original post by of_ownage

D3DXVECTOR3 minVec;
minVec.x = m_Box.maxPt.x - m_Box.center().x;
minVec.y = m_Box.maxPt.y - m_Box.center().y;
minVec.z = m_Box.maxPt.z - m_Box.center().z;

minVec *= 2;

ID3DXMesh* box;
D3DXCreateBox(g_Device, minVec.x, minVec.y, minVec.z, &box, 0);

I don't understand this. What is m_Box.center()? does it just return (maxPt+minPt)*0.5 ? I would do it this way:

NMapVertex* v = 0;
m_Mesh->LockVertexBuffer(0, (void**)&v);
D3DXComputeBoundingBox((D3DXVECTOR3*)v, m_Mesh->GetNumVertices(), sizeof(NMapVertex), &m_Box.minPt, &m_Box.maxPt);
m_Mesh->UnlockVertexBuffer();

D3DXVECTOR3 boxDim = m_Box.maxPt - mBox.minPt;

ID3DXMesh* box;
D3DXCreateBox(g_Device, boxDim.x, boxDim.y, boxDim.z, &box, 0);

Quote:
Original post by of_ownage
y ehm your right your code is better to understand but i dont think the box creation is the problem ;)

I think it is. The box you create is only half the size of your bounding box. Is your bounding box 10 units high by any chance?

EDIT: Also, I hope this code is just for debugging - you should never be creating objects at render time, and especially never once per frame. That's a good way to get single digit frames per second [smile]

i know i should not create objects at runtime^^

but you should check this line of code::

minVec *= 2;

this should correct the half problem thing, and all other axis x/z are right. Its right positioned at x and z and the size is also right only the y coordinate is wrong :S

I'm not sure what you mean by "local bounding box." Are you assuming that the box you create surrounds your mesh?

D3DXCreateBox creates a box centered at the origin. It will not "surround" your original mesh unless your mesh is also centered at the origin.

In your code, m_box surrounds your mesh, not box.

I think you need to translate your box by m_box.center() before you draw it.

Check the value of m_box.center(). If it is not ( 0,0,0 ), that's the problem.

This topic is 3551 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.