My C++ wrapper for TCP sockets

Started by
10 comments, last by shurcool 16 years ago
Hello All, I have recently created a project of simple lightweight C++ wrapper for sockets API. Hopefully someone will find it useful: http://code.google.com/p/sckt/ -- Ivan [Edited by - excito on March 21, 2008 8:53:45 AM]
Advertisement
Thanks for letting us know. However, it would be great if you can answer the following question:

Why should someone use this library instead of one of the many mature libraries that already support the same thing?

Do you have better documentation? Better performance? Giving out English muffins? Something else?
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by hplus0603Giving out English muffins?

Oo, that would be lovely xD

I think its nice you build a library and want it to share :), even if other libraries are better...you have to start somewhere...you're further then me :P. Keep it up :)
[size="2"]SignatureShuffle: [size="2"]Random signature images on fora
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
Thanks for letting us know. However, it would be great if you can answer the following question:

Why should someone use this library instead of one of the many mature libraries that already support the same thing?

Do you have better documentation? Better performance? Giving out English muffins? Something else?

Another person with a fetish for english muffins... I'm english, bet you're not :P

Same questions as hplus0603 ^^

I found all those mature libraries to be very heavy in the sense they bring too much high level functionality along with the basic functionality, this is why I decided to write my own simple wrapper on sockets API. I thought the project main page states this clearly?

To be honest, I tried to create a C++ analog of SDL_net. So, it has almost the same simple interface but in C++.
Firstly I did a C++ wrapper above SDL_net but I had some strange crash when using select() with it (SDLNet_CheckSockets) in Windows (mingw). Trying to find the bug I dug into SDL_net sources and found that I could write my own C++ wrapper above sockets API and it will be easier to find this bug. Eventually, I can't say I found this bug, but I found that in Windows select() sometimes return nonzero value indicating number of active sockets, but it actually does not flag any sockets in fd_set, this caused the crash in my program. I did some workaround for this in my wrapper...

I do not try to force anyone to use it, but how can I also let people know about my project instead of posting it to the forums? Maybe someone will be interested, maybe not.
I think it's great that you have taken this route and are confident enough in it to post about it here :).

Sometimes it is more effective to start again than use a library which does a lot more than what you need.
lol its wonderful !
but i my original codes costs just arround 5 lines not 6kbyte of code.
anyway i think its better then some other libraries.
why i think its better ? cause its little then other libs and codes looks wery stable for first time use.
Thanks, Excito, that's a much better explanation. In general, when you post a link, you should post that kind of explanation with the link, to give people help in deciding whether it's worth their time or not.

Quote:Another person with a fetish for English muffins

I think that's due to a current advertising campaign by the Geico insurance company in the US. They have a talking animal describing how well the Geico people will take care of you -- they'll even give you an English muffin. Then he takes it back saying "that's a dramatization, of course," which cleverly negates EVERYTHING he said, not just the muffin.

Hence, English Muffin == Stupid Advertising.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
I've recently added an experimental UDP support and documentation (doxygen).

http://code.google.com/p/sckt/

Can you please list them?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement