C++ or C# for 2D mmorpg?

Started by
15 comments, last by Fiddler 16 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by Boder
MM, I doubt we'll see a usable version of XNA on linux. Mono.XNA looks pretty sickly.

Oooh, point.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Boder
TheTroll, the fact is that you can make about 20x as big a splash on linux/mac with a really great free game than getting lost in the sea of windows freeware.

Yes, a much greater percentage of linux users would be playing your game, but even with that, you would still have a much smaller over all percentage. A great game will get users no matter what OS it is on.

theTroll

The 'which is better' argument is quite pointless. I would suggest you use whichever you're most comfortable with.

That is all, we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.
Humble people don't refer to themselves as humble (W.R.T. "IMHO".)
Thank you so much everyone!
I forgot to tell you guys that my goal in programming is to create a 2D tile-based mmorpg. Nothing else, no 3D, just 2D tile-based.

I'm having a very hard decision to make here, but it's leaning more to stay with C++ and SDL.
But no one have mention about C and SDL?

And when I reach the point in my game when I want to make it online multiplayer, is SDL.net a good option? (Havn't read anything about that yet)
And what about the hard-accelerated part?

There is a mmorpg called Frostwinds, and that really got my style in game.
Here is some screenshots:
http://www.frostwinds.com/Screenshots

Thank you again for all the replies! :D
I would personally choose C# and XNA rather than C++ and SDL for such a project. Either is an acceptable choice, and the points you've listed from the email you received are generally true.

If you have a reasonable amount of experience with C++ and SDL you may be more comfortable sticking with them for now, as familiarity with existing languages and libraries can sometimes be a significant benefit over having to learn something new. Another argument in favour of sticking with C++/SDL would be if you've already done a significant amount of work you do not wish to duplicate.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by Iderik
There is a mmorpg called Frostwinds, and that really got my style in game.
Here is some screenshots:
http://www.frostwinds.com/Screenshots

Thank you again for all the replies! :D

It's funny you mention frostwinds, as it was made by a member here(Thevenin) and he did it using C# and Managed DirectX IIRC(he did write about how much easier things were in C# in his postmortem if I can ever find it again)
XNA is great, but you should think a bit more if you are going down that route: is your game going to be free or commercial? I've heard there's a strong shareware market on Mac OS X, which you'd lose if you used XNA.

If you care about that, you can use C# with SDL.Net - this way you get to reuse a large amount of your existing code and your SDL experience.

If you don't care about this, XNA is probably the best choice (mature, well documented, widely used). Tao is another choice, but it's lower level than XNA (thus harder to use). OpenTK fills the gaps between the two - more integrated than Tao, less extensive than XNA, but cross-platform with a focus on simplicity.

Note that everything but XNA is cross-platform - Mono.XNA sadly looks dead.

My advice: *definitely* move to .Net, not only will you be more producive, but you will *enjoy* the project more (don't underestimate the importance of this). I won't try to tell which library to use (I'm developing OpenTK so I've obviously made my choice :)) - you should weight the pros and cons of the above choices and take your pick.

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement