Sign in to follow this  
newperspective

"Core" Game: Lessons in Limb Loss

My last thread was getting long, which is a good thing, but I know how everyone hates treading through long articles for the main points. Here is my full game idea in short(last thread: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=487561). 1. Limb Loss Each player is a robot composed of a head, two arms, two legs, and one INDESTRUCTABLE core that joins all the limbs. The purpose of the game is to shoot off an enemy's limbs and carry their valuable core back to your base. Each core in the base counts as a spawn. The game is like a round of capture the flag where everyone is a flag. Players can reattach any limbs they find on the ground. They can also reattach limbs to teammates, which becomes important when that teammate loses both arms or their head. Players can only force an enemy to respawn by taking that enemy's core back to their team base. Otherwise, it is always the player's decision to either terminate (and surrender) their core AT ANY TIME to respawn, or wait for teammates to repair them. Cores can be dragged off when only a single leg or arm is attached. Heads can remain attached. 2. Two Weapons -- Two Classes Armor-Piercing (AP): these weapons pierce through limb armor (the core is indestructable) and, upon inflicting enough damage to the robot's inards, disables the damaged limb. Eventually, the player's limbs regenerate their full-functionality for fun gameplay. Intertial: These weapons actually dismember limbs. Disabling limbs with AP weapons, then blowing them off with Inertial weapons is the fastest way to dismemberment. Think Halo: alien weapons for overshields, human weapons for armor. The final possibility is to entirely destroy limbs (but NOT actually "kill" the enemy) by shooting enemy limbs with AP weapons AFTER they have been disabled by AP fire. But... There a certain class restrictions: Protector: This class is able to dual-wield heavy Intertial weapons. It also wields heavy body-armor which makes AP weapons less effective against it. However, the protector's heavy armor makes it more rigid and more prone to dismemberment by Inertial weapons. Engineer: This class has arm limbs with special plasma torches. They can create weapons on the battlefield with it. However, they need to be lighter (less armored) to carry weapon equipment around. Thus, engineers are vulnerable to AP (armor-piercing) weapons because they do not have much body-armor. They are, however, much more flexible than protectors and it is harded to dismember their limbs with only Inertial weapons. 3. Moving Spawn Points!!! The problem with fixed spawn-points is that they tend to get old (although my 400+ hrs playing 2142 say otherwise). "Core" will have moving spawn points, NPC vehicles as spawn points, in fact. Imagine a scaled-down version of droid transports from Star Wars or I, Robot, but with automated defenses. Of course, the engineer class can destroy them by building large weapons from materials they find on the battlefield. Protecting them is important! It is also imperitive to keep them well-stocked with cores since they begin with a FIXED AMOUNT. Even if the vehicle is not destroyed, it is useless without any cores. I envision a tank vehicle that moves slowly through streets, a weaker drop-ship that can fly over enemy lines, and a "mother-walker" behemoth that is really slow and usually the last thing to be destroyed. *** That is the FULL vision I had in mind. The game utilizes the "capture-the-flag" mechanic more as a way to keep attention on the spawn-points, but I think the large-scale battles with huge NPCs and human players would be really exciting. However, this is clearly content only imaginable in AAA titles.

To actually accomplish something, I would like to start with just part 1. Does anyone know a modder named "guzz?" He apparently unlocked the limb-loss feature in Blood II and I would like to look at the code. I really only know some C#, so it may be hard, but it's a start.

I got a great suggestion from Kest (in my last topic) about the problem with giving players incentives to wait for repairs. He's right, that doesn't sound too fun. His suggestion, having the cores inch back to nearby limbs after a while, seems ingenious. Thanks for the idea! I think that even more casual gamers without buddies to play with will find the game more enjoyable with your suggestion. And it would be hilarious to see cores "sneak" away from enemies that set them down to return fire!!!