New programming language

Started by
56 comments, last by qpingu 16 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by Daerax
Quote:Original post by Telastyn
crappy delegates are C# not .NET. I hate them too.

but other .NET languages like Nemerle and F# have proper support for closures and first class function. The difference is akin to that between digging with a bulldozer or a broken shovel.

True true. Though I'm not sure how the F# FastFunc things exist as .NET types compared to System.Delegate; haven't gotten that far yet.

Oh i c what you mean. .NET doesnt inherently support functions as types, F# ones are implemented in terms of regular classes and generics.

but then neither does the processor. having too much built in support in your framework makes it bulky and unweildy, better to have a general but powerfully flexible set of building blocks.

First of all, the processor supports jack squat, especially not classes. Integers and floats at most. It's not a valid argument for not supporting first class functions.

What few but powerful building blocks are you talking about?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Ahnfelt
Quote:Original post by Telastyn
crappy delegates are C# not .NET. I hate them too.

but other .NET languages like Nemerle and F# have proper support for closures and first class function. The difference is akin to that between digging with a bulldozer or a broken shovel.

True true. Though I'm not sure how the F# FastFunc things exist as .NET types compared to System.Delegate; haven't gotten that far yet.

Oh i c what you mean. .NET doesnt inherently support functions as types, F# ones are implemented in terms of regular classes and generics.

but then neither does the processor. having too much built in support in your framework makes it bulky and unweildy, better to have a general but powerfully flexible set of building blocks.

First of all, the processor supports jack squat, especially not classes. Integers and floats at most. It's not a valid argument for not supporting first class functions.

What few but powerful building blocks are you talking about?

exactly. programming languages are just abstractions. Its an onion philosophy. Id rather the framework be able to support functions first class than it be built in explicitly. The languages i use on .net give me that, i dont care if its not supported by .net inherently - its not supported by the computer inherently either - the languages themselves do though and they do it fast. With simple but flexible base more can be accomplished is my point.

we want a framework that is useable to all language designers not just functional people. and for whatever reason untyped or dynamic languages are all the rage now. So its give and take really not everyone will be satisfied. .NET platform is currently not the most ideal for functional programming but its failings do not begin to compare to what it is offering.

• Pattern matching

• Built in Either and Bignum types

• Type inference

• First class functions

• Currying

are all things I miss being provided 'natively' (i.e. with little to no extra work on my part).
[TheUnbeliever]
RE: crappy delegates are C# not .NET. I hate them too.

false, false. crappy delegates: can be used in VB, C++, C#,....
..are widely used in .Net Framework
popularity does not denote design goodness.
Currying is probably the least useful, most confusing thing I have ever seen. I looked over some of my Haskell code from a class last term, and I can't tell what the hell it's supposed to do. Maybe it's because I started programming in qBASIC...
Eric Richards
RE: popularity does not denote design goodness.

...and it would be foolish to think otherwise
Quote:Original post by steven katic
RE: crappy delegates are C# not .NET. I hate them too.

false, false. crappy delegates: can be used in VB, C++, C#,....
..are widely used in .Net Framework

those are languages not the cli.

i too think currying is over hyped.
i too think currying is over hyped.

I am not that familiar with Haskell, but what advantages does the currying support offer over the currying-through-closures offered by functional languages?

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

And the Adventure continues....? it's all getting a little too obvious...

Cheers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement