Sign in to follow this  
Mythics

Concave Polygon Collision Detection

Mythics    135
Should I be going for something different than SAT, since my polygons can also be concave? Splitting up the objects into convex polygons would still be doable through SAT, but I thought I should ask first. Any suggestions? Edit: Also, if anyone thinks they could help me to understand how SAT can be applied when both polygons are moving (different velocities, different destinations), that would also be very appreciated. [Edited by - Mythics on March 21, 2008 3:07:12 PM]

Bob Janova    769
The traditional way to do this is to split any polygon up into convex parts. This is called tesselation, I think, though my collision detection fu is rather rusty.

For your second question, look up 'swept collisions'. Basically you extrude both polys (or their bounding boxes) along their velocities to see if they might collide, and then do a more computationally intensive test to determine if they actually do.

Mythics    135
Ty very much on both accounts. I assumed as much regarding the 'tesselation' bit, and with proper terminology I should be able to fix up everything else on my own.