SLI & D3D

Started by
3 comments, last by MJP 16 years ago
hey folks, I gotta little question: How can I support SLI graphics-cards ind D3D (let's say 9 or 10?) what do I have to initialize... where can I set alternating usage or something. perhaps some links? google didn't turn out to much of help thx zqueezy
Advertisement
You don't need to do anything. The point of SLI/Crossfire is that the driver handles it all automatically.
NextWar: The Quest for Earth available now for Windows Phone 7.
Is it really?
for instance on this site:

and often times people complain about games who don't support SLI cards...

maybe some weeks ahead I might have 2 8800s to check it out...
thanx for the help
Yes, there are problems with compatibility, but that is more on the graphics card vendor to fix than the developer. From a developer's point of view, the game should need no knowledge of whether or not the system it is running on has SLI.
Enabling SLI is not "automatic", you have to tell the driver that you want Alternate Frame Rendering or Split Frame Rendering. Otherwise by default you get Compatibility Mode, which only uses one GPU. To specify which mode your app wants you need to use the Nvidia control panel API, which is part of their SDK. Once you've done this the driver will present both GPU's as a single device to your app, so your code doesn't need to do anything special to work with it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement