Sign in to follow this  
Harry Hunt

Waiting for another thread

Harry Hunt    542
Hi! I have written a little framework that implements the active object pattern and so far it's working great. In case you're not familiar with the pattern: it basically provides an easy mechanism for executing functions or methods asynchronously. Now in case you execute a function that returns a value, you receive a special object called a "Future" that gives you the function's return value once it has become available. It is also possible to explicitly wait for the return value like so:
int myFunction(int myArg) {
  return myArg + 5;
}

// Somwhere else
Future<int> myFuture = Future<int>::Spawn<int>(&myFunction, 32);
myFuture.Wait();
std::cout << "The result is " << myFuture.GetValue() << std::endl;

Now what Wait does is it blocks the thread it is called from until a return value is available. The Future is signalled by the thread that executes the function through a simple boolean variable that is set to "true" once the execution is done. Right now, Wait is implemented like this (I removed the code that deals with timeouts): bool Future<T>::Wait(int timeout) { while (!complete) ; // complete is a member of Future return true; } This works quite well, but I'm worried that the while-loop may actually consume a lot of resources, so I was wondering if there's a better way. Note that all the code so far is lock-free (as in no mutexes, no semaphores) and I'd really like to keep it that way. Any ideas?

the_edd    2109
Yeah, you need to use a condition variable. Repeatedly checking a flag isn't guaranteed to work at all, and also needlessly hammers the processor as you say.

A full future implementation can be found here (there's a link in the boost cookbook recipe, too). There's support for propagating exceptions, passing and returning references and a bunch of other things you might be interested in.