Sign in to follow this  

listSDL_Surface* problems

This topic is 3553 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm currently using Dev-C++ and SDL. I'm creating an STL list of objects of the class 'Animation' I created. In this Animation class, I've created a list<SDL_Surface*> property called "frames" so in order to draw one of the frames to the screen I could pass an SDL_Surface* from my list as a parameter to the SDL_BlitSurface function. The problem, however, is I can't seem to render even just one of the frames without the program crashing. Here is the Animation class (actually it's struct for now) definition -- the AnimationInstance enum is also listed because it's used for an Animation instance's id property but is not incredibly important to the struct's functionality:
// The different types of animations that current exist
enum AnimationInstance{
    ANIM_GAME_SAVED,
    ANIM_EXPLOSION,  
};

struct Animation{
    int id;
    list<SDL_Surface*> frames;
    list<SDL_Surface*>::iterator frameIter;
    int frameNumber;
    int totalFrames;
    int loopNumber;
    int totalLoops;
    Coor position;

Animation(int identifier, int frames, int loops){
        id = identifier;
        totalFrames = frames;
        totalLoops = loops;
        frameNumber = 1;
        loopNumber = 1;
        if(totalLoops < 0) totalLoops = 1; // Less than zero loops not allowed 
        if(totalFrames < 1) totalFrames = 1; // Less than 1 frame total not allowed
        position = Coor(0, 0); // Creates animation at location (0,0) by default
    }

Animation(Animation a, Coor pos){ // Makes a copy of an already existing animation to a new Coor
        id = a.id;
        totalFrames = a.totalFrames;
        totalLoops = a.totalLoops;
        frameNumber = 1;
        loopNumber = 1;
        if(totalLoops < 0) totalLoops = 1; // Less than zero loops not allowed 
        if(totalFrames < 1) totalFrames = 1; // Less than 1 frame total not allowed
        position = a.position;
    }

int nextFrame(){
        if(frameNumber != totalFrames){ // If the previous frame was not the last frame in the animation
            frameNumber++; // Move to the next frame in the animation
            if(!frames.empty()) frameIter++; // Move to the next frame in the animation in the SDL_Surface* list (only if this animation uses this list)
        }
        else if(totalLoops == 0){
            frameNumber = 1; // Start at the beginning of the animation again

// Other frame list operations...
            if(!frames.empty()) frameIter = frames.begin(); // If this animation uses the SDL_Surface* list, point to the beginning of that list again
        }
        else if(loopNumber != totalLoops){ // If the previous loop was not the last loop for the animation
            frameNumber = 1; // Start at the beginning of the animation again
            loopNumber++; // Increment which loop number this is

// Other frame list operations...
            if(!frames.empty()) frameIter = frames.begin(); // If this animation uses the SDL_Surface* list, point to the beginning of that list again
        }
        else frameNumber = 0; // Indicates that the animation has reached its end

return frameNumber;
    }

void draw(SDL_Surface*& screen){
        SDL_Surface *frameSurface = NULL;
        frameSurface = (*frameIter); // (*frameIter) == SDL_Surface*
        SDL_Rect rect;
        rect.y = position.y;
        rect.x = position.x;
        rect.w = frameSurface->w; // Width of the current frame's SDL_Surface
        rect.h = frameSurface->h; // Height of the current frame's SDL_Surface
        SDL_Surface *g = NULL;
        g = frameSurface; // frameSurface == SDL_Surface*
    	SDL_BlitSurface(g, NULL, screen, &rect);   
    }
};

I also declared global list of all animations and an animation for an explosion:
list<Animation> animations; // List of all current animations on screen

Animation explosion(ANIM_EXPLOSION, 17, 1); // The explosion animation is 17 frames long and loops once
This is where I'm loading all my images for the explosion animation in my game's Initialize() function:
for(int i = 1; i <= explosion.totalFrames; i++){ // Load all frame images into the explosion animation
        SDL_Surface *frameImage = NULL; // SDL_Surface*
        string frameImagePath = "images/explosion/explosion_" + IntToString(i) + ".bmp";
        frameImage = SDL_LoadBMP(frameImagePath.c_str());
        if(frameImage == NULL) // Check that the image for the sprite was loaded properly
        {
            string errorMessage("The image file at \"" + frameImagePath + "\" could not be properly loaded.");
            cerr << "ERROR: " << errorMessage.c_str() << endl;
            exit(1);
        }
        explosion.frames.push_back(frameImage);
    }

And here's the bit of code that makes my program terminate:
Animation e2(explosion, Coor(20,20)); // Create a copy of the explosion animation and position it at position (20,20)
list<SDL_Surface*>::iterator fIter = e2.frames.begin(); // Just start your own iterator since everything is public at the moment
SDL_Rect dest;
dest.x = 20;
dest.y = 20;
SDL_BlitSurface((*fIter), NULL, g_Screen, &dest); // Blit the first frame to the screen (g_Screen)
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Any help is much appreciated!

Ah! So sorry, this isn't a pointer problem at all -- I failed to realize I was not making copy of the list of SDL_Surface* objects when I called a copy constructor.

This topic is 3553 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.