Looking for a box-fitting algorithm

Started by
1 comment, last by Deaken Frost 16 years, 1 month ago
Hi, I'm looking for an algorithm that can solve the following problem, but I don't know what it might be called, so I don't know what to google for. If someone could give me a keyword to search for that'd be great. I have 1000 rectangles of different widths and heights. I have to fit all these smaller rectangles into the smallest size rectangle possible. Thanks a lot -Cuppo
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by CuppoJava
Hi,
I'm looking for an algorithm that can solve the following problem, but I don't know what it might be called, so I don't know what to google for. If someone could give me a keyword to search for that'd be great.

I have 1000 rectangles of different widths and heights.
I have to fit all these smaller rectangles into the smallest size rectangle possible.

Thanks a lot
-Cuppo
Bin packing.

I wrote some code for this a while ago, and would be happy to provide a link to it. However, you'll probably find something better than my simple implementation within five minutes of Googling 'bin packing', so if I were you I'd just start searching and see what comes up.
Quote:Original post by CuppoJava
I have 1000 rectangles of different widths and heights.
I have to fit all these smaller rectangles into the smallest size rectangle possible.
-Cuppo

Try this:
http://www.iguanademos.com/Jare/Articles.php?view=RectPlace

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement