Sign in to follow this  

Uncertanties

This topic is 3559 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone. This is where I'm coming from, but you don't need to read it all to answer my question, so you can just skip it. I've been mapping and making mods for a game called Red Faction. But its growing very old as the community consists of maybe 200 total people. I've made many small games, that only I would enjoy and only because I've made them. And I love making games, but sense I'm still in school I cant do it full time. But I'm getting to the point where my ideas are original enough that I can make game content that people other then me want to play. But as I said the community is very small now and no one wants to download a gig worth of such an old game just to try out something you made. So now here I am with nothing to work at, which brings me to this point: I'm trying to decide where I should learn a programming code or find an engine to modify and make maps for. I really don't want to spend years learning to code to make simple games. What I'm really looking for is an open source game that I can modify and completely change, and not have to give anyone credit. My first choice would be a graphical browser game, but after searching I dont think I could make my own within a year and I haven't found anything I could modify. I'm still searching though so this isn't my last stop, just a place to further my search. Any help would be very much appreciated and if it seems vague its because I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do. If you actually read all that thank you for your time.

If you're into making mods, then why not give Half Life 2 or Elder Scrolls 4 mods a try, or even Morrowind, all those games have huge communities :)

How do you expect to modify a game engine if you don't want to spend time learning to code? =)

Quote:
Original post by NerdInHisShoe
If you're into making mods, then why not give Half Life 2 or Elder Scrolls 4 mods a try, or even Morrowind, all those games have huge communities :)

How do you expect to modify a game engine if you don't want to spend time learning to code? =)

I don't mind learning to code, but I don't want to spend a year just learning how to make something that could run a game. After alot of searching I found TA Spring and I think I might try to make an original game out of that. Do you think that is a good route to take? Here's a link to there website: spring.clan-sy.com

In general "no", open source games are usually messy and you have to be a good coder to leverage them.

I don't know the specifics of this project though. Does it have a good community/wiki?

Quote:
Original post by Boder
In general "no", open source games are usually messy and you have to be a good coder to leverage them.

I don't know the specifics of this project though. Does it have a good community/wiki?

It seems good to me. It's definately better then most developement communities I've been apart of. It has some short comings in installing but alot of games do. It's pretty much the source code for a larger game called Total Annilation from what I've read. From what I've seen from pictures, comments, and videos everything seems very good. Some people were even saying it was better then Supreme Commander (A title I've heard of). It also has a FPS view in an RTS which is very appealing to me because I like many bots but also being up close and personal. So hopefully this will work out for me. But I would rather spend months trying to clean up a code to a fun game then a year trying to make a simple game. But I will definately ask some questions in there forum to see what I'm getting myself into before I start actually working on my own game. And then if that works out make a small sample game first.

Edit: I've looked through there forum the source code this company has made is based off of a game from 1997 and the map making seems extremely limited (http://spring.clan-sy.com/wiki/A_Complete_Map_Making_Tutorial). But it has alot of open source user features. I'm very undecided though because this is a hobby and I know if I tried to learn C++ and make my own engine it would take years and it wouldn't even be as good as this game. But if I use this one it would be outdated.

[Edited by - M3TAL on March 22, 2008 11:07:16 PM]

This topic is 3559 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.