best way to start?

Started by
4 comments, last by Pox 16 years, 1 month ago
Is it best to program everything by yourself (rendering, collision detection, etc.) or to use a middleware game engine such as Irrlicht or Crystal Space and modify them as needed? Also, which is better to start with, 2d or 3d, for game programming? I am working alone so I will be doing every aspect of the game programming (artwork, audio, networking). Any and all opinions and thoughts on this matter are appreciated.
Advertisement
I would say it'd be quicker to use an already made game engine, but it depends on whether you want to learn how to write all that other code for yourself, so I guess which is better really depends on what you want to do.
I find 2d far easier than 3d because for one you don't need to worry about the z axis. Personally I would start with 2D then move onto 3D.
Thanks for the input, namingway. If i start in 2d is the transition to 3d easy and will I pick up any bad coding habits in 2d that would need to be broken upon moving to 3d programming?
The transition would be easier. It's hard to say about picking up bad coding habits because that would mainly come down to how good you are with the language you are using and not neccesarily the 2d or 3d programming.
Thanks for the quick response namingway. Anyone else want to put their two cents in on the topic?
If you're starting with no prior experience, 2D is definitely a good place to start - it will allow you to get a handle on the general basics of game programming, without having to worry about the intricacies of 3D programming such as matrices. As to the bad habits, it will usually be a bad habit in 2D if it's a bad habit in 3D - have a good look at some other engines, and plan in advance before writing your code if it's anything complex.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement