Is it possible?

Started by
10 comments, last by gharen2 16 years, 1 month ago
Hellow all im new here, i just wanna asked is it possible to make a text based game with 3 stages,in 2 months? the games will be like Medieval total war but it doesnt have a animation at all,but the way player move will be like it. thank before
Advertisement
Assuming I understand the question correctly, you want to create some kind of text-based strategy game, and you have a development period of 2 months.

It's certainly possible, even with a 1-man team, if you're devoting enough time to it: I'm not sure on the complexity of what you're talking about, but considering it's text-based, it couldn't take long.

That would of course entirely change if you had to learn to program from scratch in that time, which I have a vague feeling you'll need to. ;)
Pox, thanks for the reply, yeah u got what i mean.
do you have any suggestion what program should i use?
im trying to make it in Visual Basic,is it Ok?
Visual Basic is fine. Basically you should use the language you are most familiar with (considering the deadline)

Personally I would consider using Python for a text only game, or maybe Java to cut down on the time spent on debugging.

There is also a lot of techniques and concepts involved in writing a game. Knowing a language is only the first step.
It would be very difficult to simultaneously learn a new language while developing a Total War-style game in just two months. Or do you already have significant experience in your language of choice? I get the feeling that you don't because A) you're asking this question, and B) you're afraid that VB is not enough. And the situation is worse if you're new to programming at all.
yeah i really really need to learn VB from basic, i got 1 week periode to learn it, and my project will start from 1st april till 1st june......is it possible?:D:D actually i'm not new at programming, i used to do my stuff in C++ but i wanna try a new things so i choose VB
I think you're living in fantasy land. You severely underestimate the time you will need on this project. Well, in general we all underestimate, but you're in the wrong direction. Learning VB.NET will take you more than one week. You can keep it short, but you'll be fumbling with it. That means that when it comes to writing code, you will be slow, having to recall consciously how to write code, checking if it's idiomatically correct, and so on.

Then, you also seem inexperienced at programming, and at making games. You don't necessarily need to have made big games before, but you seem to have not written any real text games before. I'm guessing here, from the way you wrote your posts, so don't take offense if it's otherwise.

Then again, it also depends on how much C++ knowledge you have. If it's utterly basic, you might be better served by moving onto VB.NET or another higher level language.

If you're serious about getting good feedback from us, you need to give us a lot more details to work with here. A rundown of your experience is useful. What kind of programs did you write with C++? How extensive is your knowledge of C++? Any games you make before? Then describe to us your proposed game in detail. "Like Medieval Total War" is not a description. Eventually, you will have to sit down and work out hard details, and then write the code for hard details.
Quote:Original post by deitz
yeah i really really need to learn VB from basic, i got 1 week periode to learn it, and my project will start from 1st april till 1st june......is it possible?:D:D actually i'm not new at programming, i used to do my stuff in C++ but i wanna try a new things so i choose VB

Since you've programmed before, then I think that there's no one better to judge how well you can do this than yourself. Good luck, and go get 'em!
Quote:Since you've programmed before, then I think that there's no one better to judge how well you can do this than yourself. Good luck, and go get 'em!
You'll be surprised how hard this can be. Even if you've been programming for a while, you end up underestimating how much time something will take to do.

Not that estimation by popular opinion is any means to accuracy, but it does offer a reality check of sorts.
VB would certainly not be my first choice for a text-based game - I'd recommend python, perl, or maybe C[++].

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement