Sign in to follow this  

Color Palette - Clueless!

This topic is 3555 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys. I'm trying to save an image from raw pixels (specifically, those taken from a GdkPixbuf) as a GIF, using GIFLIB. All is well... the image is fine, except for one thing: the colors are _totally_ off. Black is white, white is black, gray is purple, etc. I know my problem lies in my ColorMapObject -- which is basically a colorpalette, something like:
struct ColorMapObject {
   int size;
   int bits_per_pixel;
   colorPalette *palette;
}
Where colorPalette is a structure array, which has Red, Green, and Blue set as a byte value, one for each color (so there'd be 256 RGB values for 256 colors). I'm sure you guys know how to do this: how can I create a color palette that will just "look right", for any image? I'm totally clueless. I'm going to be saving screenshots, so I guess it needs to match the system color palette? I'd like also to be able to specify the number of colors (256, 2 for monochrome, etc). Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. :)

Yes it does use an 8-bit screen format. The problem is, I don't know how to get my screen's palette, and convert it to a certain color depth when I want (like 256 colors, 16 colors, etc). I don't think GTK/GDK offers this option, because I've asked on the mailing list and IRC channel and no-one seems to be able to answer.

Funny thing is, I was able to do:

int x = 0;
for (x = 0; x < 256; ++x) {
color_map[x].red = (unsigned char)x;
color_map[x].green = (unsigned char)x;
color_map[x].blue = (unsigned char)x;
}

When I give that to giflib, the screenshot is in grayscale. :D

This topic is 3555 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.