Lets develop a game

Started by
17 comments, last by Tom Sloper 16 years, 1 month ago
Whats up? I have a passion for video games and would very much like to be part of a game development team. I graduated College with a degree in Finance and a minor in Real Estate. In short, I have no video game development skills but DO have several game ideas that would be quite simple to program ( coming from a guy who knows next to nothing about programming :) ). My question is this. Are there any talented programmers out there who would be willing to work with me in creating a few simple games? I can assure you that my ideas are unique and are at least worth listening to. I currently live in Dallas. Write me back on here or at crk0049@unt.edu
Advertisement
Hi,

"with me in creating a few simple games"

I think you don't how much work it is to create even ONE game, even if it is not more complicated than a Tetris clon

" I have no video game development skills but DO have several game ideas that would be quite simple to program ( coming from a guy who knows next to nothing about programming :) )."

That sounds good, but it is fact that even experienced programmers tend to underestimate the amount of work required for a "Simple-1-Weekend-Game-Idea"

"I can assure you that my ideas are unique and are at least worth listening to"
Well, nearly everyone has at least one or two UNIQUE game ideas. The problem is the time to let them become reality ... 20 years in prison would be a good base to start. But are the guys in prison allowed to use computers?

Question: Why don't you want to learn programming? It is not THAT difficult and it is - if you do it as a hobby - fun. I suppose it will be more fun for you to program a small game on your own than letting others do the "hard stuff" for you.

Good luck!
Best Regards,
Porthos

As always, sorry for my bad English.
Ive actually taken a C++ class and recieved a C letter grade. It was then that I realized how hard it is to progam. But, I still think I could be of some help in creating a game. I understand if no one takes me seriously. However my offer still stands.
Quote:Original post by "crk32"
I have ... a degree in Finance and a minor in Real Estate... no video game development skills but ... several game ideas ...
any talented programmers out there who would be willing to work with me...?
my ideas are unique and are at least worth listening to...
my offer still stands.

The only reason I can think of for you to mention your degrees is to suggest that you've been making money since graduating. And you need money, because you're just like every other "idea guy" out there. If you want people to make your game ideas, and not their own, you're going to have to pay them. You need not only programmers but artists and audio help too.

As for the uniqueness of your ideas, everybody's ideas are just as unique as everybody else's. Everybody's ideas are worth listening to. So when you tell somebody else your idea, if you don't have money to fund the project, all you're going to get is to hear their ideas, which are just as valuable as yours. I wrote my articles #31 and #43 after about the fiftieth person like you that I heard from. Don't read those articles at http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html - you won't enjoy them or learn anything from them.

Lastly, you should have posted your "offer" on the "Your Announcements" board or the "Help Wanted" board. Not here (this is the Game Design forum - the focus here is game design, which is what you want to do, not programming, which is the kind of guys you need to help you). Go back out to the Forums hub (at the top of this page you'll see that you're currently at Home » Community » Forums » Game Design, so you can just click "Forums" to go back to the hub) and look under Community Interaction. There you'll find two forums that are better for your purposes.

Good luck getting your games made. Which leads to the next logical thought - once you've made games, what then? I wrote my article #60 on that topic.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by Porthos
Hi,. 20 years in prison would be a good base to start. But are the guys in prison allowed to use computers?.

That sounds a bit harsch, isn't it? Why all the negative feedback? If you have the money to fund, and have good ideas, it shouldn't be hard to hire a team. This requires of course good organising skills. It's the positive attitude that matters.
@Tom :
You sounds like someone who would faint and coma for weeks when he FINALLY meets someone who says that his ideas are unique AND they really are.

No offense, man ^^

@crk32 :
Well, just how unique are they? You should just describe it right away.
No masher just Master!
I wouldn't mind helping actually, but I much prefer graphics and modelling to programming. Also, not too brilliant with C++. I tend to use Python-Pygame.

And also, I can see your point of view. Before I could program I wanted to just be able to give someone my idea and let them make it for me. Why not try to code it yourself and get someone to help you learn it? A human guide is much more useful than any web tutorial.
Hey,

crk32, what i suggest i programming for fun, and if you have the time and money, take some community college classes in CS... you'll also need mathematics (more essential than anything in my perspective, especially for defining your ideas on paper) after that step is done you can use and enhance your computer skills to transfer you built idea ( usually that goes on paper) and program it.

If i were you, i'd keep doing a normal business job, enough to keep you up surviving and learn to program, if not C,C++ try C# or some basic language. You can also hone your skills in graphics ( thats what i do when my right side of the brain gets tired).... What's important is to keep your passion and don't talk a lot about your projects ( when i do, i'm less motivated )... Hit it one step at a time and i assure you, it'll be the funnest ride you ever had and will have.

Nassim A.
Good Luck!

Wirya wrote:
>You sounds like someone who would faint and [be in a] coma for weeks when he FINALLY meets someone who says that his ideas are unique AND they really are.
>No offense, man ^^

None taken. I probably would!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by Porthos
That sounds good, but it is fact that even experienced programmers tend to underestimate the amount of work required for a "Simple-1-Weekend-Game-Idea"

So true. Yes, programming should not be to hard to pick up (To the OP) Just find a couple books, and learn some C/C++ (Let's not start a language war here. Whatever language you want, use it)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement