Lets develop a game

Started by
17 comments, last by Tom Sloper 16 years ago
Quote:Original post by Marmin
Quote:Original post by Porthos
Hi,. 20 years in prison would be a good base to start. But are the guys in prison allowed to use computers?.

That sounds a bit harsch, isn't it? Why all the negative feedback? If you have the money to fund, and have good ideas, it shouldn't be hard to hire a team. This requires of course good organising skills. It's the positive attitude that matters.

All the positive attitude in the world doesn't get the game made, sadly. But it is an important factor.

@crk32, I suggest finding something in Game Developement you might be-at least-decent at. If you don't like programming, try 3d modeling/texturing. If you don't like either of those, try sound design or composing music. If you don't like any of the above choices, draw a bunch of shaded pictures, slap too many photoshop filters on them and pretend you're a concept artist. If you can do something helpful in the actual process of developing the game, it's easier to get a team together. Sure, you could just hire a bunch of guys to do it all, but most people don't understand how very much experience and skill it takes to create the smoothest coded game, or the Resident Evil 4/Gears of War visuals.

Good luck!

Advertisement
This sounds like fun... is there any room left on the Lighting Team?
seeing as how you have multiple ideas, what do you have to lose to make one of your unique ideas public?
When you decide to make a game you take on responsibility of getting EVERYTHING done regardless of how extensive or limited your talents and/or resources may be.

If you can't program, pay someone, if you can't afford it, look for someone who shares your vision, if you can't find someone who shares your vision, pick up a programming book and start learning as you go forward (which you should be doing while you're looking for someone who shares your vision).

The same thing goes for design, art, music, sound effects, writing, web site development, marketing, etc...

Your willingness to get everything done, no matter what it takes, is what will attract others to join you. It should go without saying that you need to show this willingness with more than words and, if you can't pay for it, the best way to accomplish this is via your own development talents. Regardless of who you get to work with you, the burden of completion remains with you and while it's not impossible to find someone to work with you right now, it's highly unlikely.

Good Luck
Quote:Original post by eedok
seeing as how you have multiple ideas, what do you have to lose to make one of your unique ideas public?

I agree, post one of them! I'll give you a 5% royalty if I implement and sell it ;)
Like many others, probably roaming these boards like myself, I've gotten myself pretty enthusiastic about the idea of making a game without any clue where to start. Inevitably, none of the places I looked for help really got me any further along making a game and whenever I found something genuinely useful I realized just how much work it would take just to learn what I need to know and gave up on the prospect in favor of passing high school.

I don't want to say you should give up now and cut your losses (namely time), but I'm reckoning you should start with determining just how determined and motivated you are. Depending on how interested you are, I recommend starting with just making levels for another game using level editors (I had loads of fun back in the day with my TI-83+ and the popular Mario game for it), or if you're more strong-willed than my high-school Freshman self you could try using one of many game engines that are out there. One nifty little secret of the videogame industry is that level editors such as the Source engine are more or less viral recruiting tools, being one of the few ways people can show their designing talents to developers. But that's beside the point. You want to make your clever original concepts come to life. I can't help you there, as much as I'd like to, because I'm just a lame Schmoe who's not in the know.
I love what Stew wrote!

> I'm reckoning you should start with determining just how determined and motivated you are.

Yes, and the best way to do that is to stop asking questions and just try doing stuff. Pick up a program or tool set, and just fiddle with it. See what there is to learn from it. At some point you're bound to come across something else to fiddle with, and something else after that. What you're doing is called "learning." And you're doing it by "trial and error." It's an excellent way to start.

We see all these guys who come in here saying they don't want to "waste time" doing that - they'd rather learn from those who DID do that (did they waste time? No, they had fun, and now they're sharing what they've learned) and find out which program or tool set to not spend time on so they can just go straight to the "best one."

Talk about a waste of time - asking those questions is the waste of time, when you could be just playing around with stuff and learning tons!

>I'm just a lame Schmoe who's not in the know.

Not so, Stew! No Schmoe, you.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Ah, I feel somewhat corrected by Don Tom. Unlike my cynical self, you shouldn't consider more or less fruitless efforts a waste of time any more than any other hobby. However, I do recommend, at this point, keeping it a hobby and not trying to dive into it all at once. I've learned many a time (which goes to show what a great learner I am): Never shop hungry. If you need a quick fix, bust out the Super Mario Bros. ROM hack editor, but then just satisfy yourself with a bit of hobbyist programming or whatever aspiring game developers do.
Quote:Original post by Portugal Stew
Ah, I feel somewhat corrected by Don Tom. Unlike my cynical self

Oh, gee. I thought I was being Mister Nice Guy for a change. If I twisted your original post into something that sounded sarcastic, it was unintentional (probably because I read things too quickly, sometimes missing key points).

BTW, I've been promoted to a Don now? (^_^) That's so cool!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement