Sign in to follow this  
chillypacman

Missing d3dx9_35.dll?

chillypacman    100
From what I understand d3dx9)35.dll would be installed by default on any computer though from experience that isn'ta lways the case. I'm kind of confused, when I inlude it with the executable (i.e. in the same folder as the exe) it causes the computer to crash if d3dx9_35.dll already existgs elsewhere on the computer, otherwise it won't work unless d3dx9_35.dll is inluded. What am I supposed to do about this?

SiCrane    11839
No, it's only bundled with relatively more recent DirectX distributions. Just make sure that the computer running your program has the latest version of the DirectX runtime.

Evil Steve    2017
Quote:
Original post by chillypacman
From what I understand d3dx9)35.dll would be installed by default on any computer though from experience that isn'ta lways the case.
It's only installed if the user has installed a game that requires that version of D3DX, or a later version (I.e. if someone else has installed it on the users machine).

Quote:
I'm kind of confused, when I inlude it with the executable (i.e. in the same folder as the exe) it causes the computer to crash if d3dx9_35.dll already existgs elsewhere on the computer, otherwise it won't work unless d3dx9_35.dll is inluded.
It shouldn't cause a crash, but it is against the DirectX EULA to distribute the DLL like that. It also means that if there's any security problems found, they can be patched via Windows Update. If you provide the DLL separately, then it can't be patched. And I imagine the user won't be very happy when they get exploited by a bug that was fixed in Windows Update.

Quote:
What am I supposed to do about this?
Provide the DirectX End-User Runtimes with your application, and have the installer set it up. Alternatively, direct the user to the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer in the readme file with your app.

chillypacman    100
Quote:
Original post by SiCrane
No, it's only bundled with relatively more recent DirectX distributions. Just make sure that the computer running your program has the latest version of the DirectX runtime.

Oh ok, so I can safely assume if I include a directx installer with the software I'm distributing that it would mean such errors won't show? Because thats what I've thought for the whole time but quite a few people seem to be missing this one crucial dll and have emailed me omplaints about having the latest directx but not being able to get it to work with the missing dlls... kinda wierd, guess they're lying :P

Quote:
It shouldn't cause a crash, but it is against the DirectX EULA to distribute the DLL like that

Yes I know it's against the Eula, thats why I don't want to do it.

Evil Steve    2017
Quote:
Quote:
Original post by SiCrane

Oh ok, so I can safely assume if I include a directx installer with the software I'm distributing that it would mean such errors won't show? Because thats what I've thought for the whole time but quite a few people seem to be missing this one crucial dll and have emailed me omplaints about having the latest directx but not being able to get it to work with the missing dlls... kinda wierd, guess they're lying :P
The redist package is included in the SDK, in SDKROOT/Redist. Just provide the contents of that folder (I seem to recall there's a way to customise it though and only provide the files you really need, but I don't know how offhand).

SiCrane    11839
Because of the way that Microsoft versions things, the latest version of DirectX is not necessarily the same as the latest version of the DirectX runtime. For example, when 9.0b was the latest version of DirectX, they still released new versions of the DirectX runtimes that contained updated versions of the D3DX libraries before 9.0c came out.