Sign in to follow this  
PATrainwreck

SDL

I'm learning how to use SDL and I want to know how everything works. (I'm using Visual c++ express edition 2008) I don't know what this does: #ifdef WIN32 #pragma comment(lib, "SDL.lib") #pragma comment(lib, "SDLmain.lib") #endif all I know is that my program won't compile with out it (I get linker errors). So what does it do? thanks for any help.

That code is linking your project to the library files for SDL which is necessary for any project using SDL. Alternatively, you could go to the project properties menu and under the linker tab add SDL.lib and SDLmain.lib in the additional dependencies field.

I'm guessing the code you're compiling is designed to work with different compilers, and maybe even different Operating Systems.

Quote:
Original post by bschneid
That code is linking your project to the library files for SDL which is necessary for any project using SDL. Alternatively, you could go to the project properties menu and under the linker tab add SDL.lib and SDLmain.lib in the additional dependencies field.

Yup it's pretty much a MS specific hack that saves you the hassle of having to manually go into the project properties and linking manually.
So, acutally it will compile without that code if you know what you are doing.