AI for FPS

Started by
6 comments, last by ibebrett 16 years ago
Can someone please help meout in a FPS game i am developing. The main area i need help is in AI and animation. For more information please send a mail to theamericansushi@gmail.com
Advertisement
Go buy a book. Programming Game AI by Example by Mat Buckland is a good place to start. He goes over the basics of AI and includes two full games, a soccer simulation and a top-down Quake style shooter called Raven. Raven will give you the ideas you want and how to implement them.
Sorry but i do not have any place to buy the book as i haave tried all book stores at the moment, it would be nice if you could send me some links to learn animation with a good FREE software
(Oh boy... this is not going to go well.)

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Well, if you can't get the book where you are, you can check out the sample chapters on his website. Its a really good book.

http://www.ai-junkie.com - His site
Or, since you clearly have internet access... order the book from Amazon, or a similar online seller!

If, on the other hand, what you're really saying is, "I don't want to spend money to learn about AI... just give me the answers I need", then I'm afraid that the answer will not be one you will enjoy. There is no 'easy route' to learning AI... it takes time, practice and patience. Many solutions are tailored to specific problems, so experience plays a big part in picking the right tool for the job. That's where books come in. They convey the experience of others in a compact, (usually) easy-to-learn format... and if you're lucky, they come with examples!
Ok I'll give you an abstract description of the basic principles behind game AI:
You have a world and an AI controlled actor.
Your actor is in the world.
Your actor makes observations on the world and depending on internal state changes its behavior.
Each time it re-evaluates the world it updates the velocity vector that the world sees and uses to move the actor through the world.

like most applications in this situation a MVC architecture is suited to the job
I am going to encourage you to invest study time, but not necessarily books. Wikipedia, Google, I mean... There is a wealth of information out there.

I mean we are in the super information age, just look for some.

Also... What have you finished on your FPS so far.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement